STARION D2 COILOVERS - GROUP BUY - A$1,220 landed

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ahh, those spring rates sound good, considering i wanted 7 and 5 to begin with :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
JJH
Enthusiast

Post by JJH »

Actually, those rates are quite high; if I've understood the conversion rate I found on the interweb, those rates equate to approx. 480lbs front & 295lbs rear.
I currently run 350lbs front & 250lbs rear on my tarmac rally car, before that I ran 250 front 200 rear, and even tried 200 front 250 rear.
Those rates may be a good option for circuit stuff, but I think they may be quite uncomfortable for a daily drive.
Having said that, I'm happy with those rates as it will give me 5 pairs of springs to play around with.
:beer
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

my car is built for one thing and one thing only - performance. I do not care how uncomfortable it is for others. She does not have a stereo/speakers. She does not have air con. I am more than happy to live with a harsh ride, so long as she grips like her life is at stake :twisted:

In fact, I don't like boats.. I prefer to be able to feel all the imperfections in the road.. As long as the harshness will not cause damage to the car, I can live with it :)

I suppose though, that I was looking for softer rates because it seems that starions grip better with softer suspension and stiffer sway bars?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

what I find most interesting, then, is that the spring rates advertised go up to 22kg.. so if 7 kg is harsh.. wtf are they doing with 22? :shock:
quest wrote:
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

To give you a bit of an idea of how stiff those springs are, standard Starion front springs are between 2 and 3 kg/mm.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

avandull - "Front springs are 350 pound/inch, Rear springs are 250 pound/inch"

MrBishi - "I run 350# front and 300# rear on the street and its reasonably comfy."

There is no doubt they are going to be firm. I read somewhere that factory springs are F 275lb (4.9kg)and R 150lb (2.7kg). So the D2 are in theory are a approx twice as stiff. And if you're running a really low profile tyre it's going to feel extra firm.

Considering my suspension is shot and it handles like a boat, I can't wait.

With coil overs I dare say a lot of people are going to wind them down pretty low. I know I'm planning on slamming mine (even if it is only for a short time). The stiff spring rates should help avoid the suspension bottoming out and or avoid spring binding.

KING SPRINGS (Progressive, initial spring rate)
KCFL-08 - 200lb/" = 3.6kg/mm
KCRL-18 - 170lb/" = 3.0kg/mm
Last edited by TOMSUN on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 JB Starion #157
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

These coilovers seem to feature a rubber isolator in the strut tops front and rear. Hopefully this feature will reduce some of that "harshness" with stiff springs.

I'm also planning to set them pretty low. :)
jb - white outside maroon inside
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

There is no doubt they are going to be firm. I read somewhere that factory springs are F 275lb (4.9kg)and R 150lb (2.7kg). So the D2 are in theory are a approx twice as stiff. And if you're running a really low profile tyre it's going to feel extra firm.
According to the workshop manual for a 1982 Australian delivered Starion:
Front: 24.6 - 27.4 N/mm (2.51-2.79 kg/mm, 140.6-156.2 lb/in)
Rear: 22.6 N/mm (2.31 kg/mm, 129 lb/in)
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

coop1er wrote:
According to the workshop manual for a 1982 Australian delivered Starion:
Front: 24.6 - 27.4 N/mm (2.51-2.79 kg/mm, 140.6-156.2 lb/in)
Rear: 22.6 N/mm (2.31 kg/mm, 129 lb/in)
I stand corrected. :beer
1985 JB Starion #157
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

So these won't suit a set of 20's with 30 series profile tyres?

:D
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Better question, do 20's with 30 profile suit anything?
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Adriano wrote:Better question, do 20's with 30 profile suit anything?
They suit bring broken by a small pothole in the road with that stiffness of springs!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

definitely not on Sydney's roads!

but watch the gumbyment start (appear to be) fixing the roads from Jan next year with a state election looming :D

/cynicism

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

but, yes, they do appear to be fairly stiff. What do the yanks think about them?

I would think that the springs would be matched to the heavier widey?

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

theres not that much weight difference between a widey and a late narrowbody.. the 3 piece rear spoiler weighs more than the extra metal used in the front and rear guards...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au