Earthquake in NZ

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Thats awful!!!
If you need anything robin just let me know.
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

To be honest I'm kinda waiting for the council to turn up to tell us to get out. I don't think the water and sewage are going to be on for a while. Plus with the foundations completly cracked i'm a little worried if we have another decent quake the house could slip and fall.
Tomorrow we are starting to pack up everything, either way if they are going to pull the house down or fix it we can get out in a hurry.
We even went out today and bought another tropical tank, a smaller one then the big one we have now for when we have to move the fish. Although I'm real worried about our 4 cats and what to do with them...
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

FST4RD - I visited avonside today and can totally understand the situation your in. We went near the river and surrounding streets. Things weren't good. Cracks everywhere, everything and one has been effected in someway. I hope the council help out and get everything sorted for you, its really awful to hear you house is so badly damaged. There was sand and water everywhere!

. Here is another picture of me at porrit park. By the avon river. (One of the small cracks.)

87 Starion EX
JJH
Enthusiast

Post by JJH »

Jeez, can't even imagine what that must have been like & thankful no one paid the ultimate price.
Be safe & best wishes moving forward.
jedi
I like starions more

yep

Post by jedi »

These aftershock are driving me crazy our area and house have come out really no real damage apart broken ornaments water never went off but had no power till sunday around 4pm.
i really feel for those how have lost there houses. :(
just cant wait till its back to normal.
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Yeah Monday nights aftershocks were vicious, just had a 5.1 about 20 mins ago after a reasonably calm night, power went again . I think not much work again today, car I was working on was swaying and I can move quick when needed lol.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Had another two aftershocks near Christchurch this morning. One was a 5.1!!! And shallow at 6km deep.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Looke like the shakey isles are living up to their name
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

OLD FART wrote:Looke like the shakey isles are living up to their name
Haha

Big Time!!
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

JAS you checked your house? todays shocks caused more destruction to mine than the main quake :shock: Not struture but contents falling and breaking.

Heard a boffin say that the 7.1 was 700 times more powerful than the 5.1 this morning, it lasted about 50 seconds compared to 5 seconds for aftershocks and this from an unknown fault. The main Alpine fault still owes us an 8+ quake.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

kiwieurospec wrote:JAS you checked your house? todays shocks caused more destruction to mine than the main quake :shock: Not struture but contents falling and breaking.

Heard a boffin say that the 7.1 was 700 times more powerful than the 5.1 this morning, it lasted about 50 seconds compared to 5 seconds for aftershocks and this from an unknown fault. The main Alpine fault still owes us an 8+ quake.
My place seems fine but haven't had a real close look yet. Nothing broken anyway. My sister out at Darfield didnt feel the big one this morning. Makes a nice change for her... :)

700 times is a bit much me thinks lol

But Im sure a 6 is twice as strong as a 5, and a 5 is twice as strong as a 4 etc. I remember learning about it in school. But its a bit fuzzy now tho... Might have to wikipedia it.

Yeah they say the Alpine Fault is a hundred years over due. But what do they know!!! Its not like forecasting the weather....
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude (shaking amplitude) of the largest displacement from zero on a particular type of seismometer (Wood–Anderson torsion). So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0. The effective limit of measurement for local magnitude ML is about 6.8.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Definitely not fun over there guys & gals, sorry to hear that. Whilst that's going on over there, we're having some of the biggest floods in Victoria's history. Is this the planet seeking vengeance?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Yeah I was wondering that....
There are decent size sink holes deveolping around our house on the roads. They have attempted to fill in the holes with tarcel but they have sunk again...
Some of the floor in our house is getting real springy, which I think means that the house isn't sitting on the piles properly. Also managed to look through the man hole under the house and the silt is almost up to the bearers....
Considering we have polythene under the house and this has gone over the top I don't know what's going to happen :cry:
We are packing up the house at the moment getting ready to move out. Only going to leave the basics in the house as we have 4 cats, 2 dogs and a stack of tropical fish which we don't want to relocate if we have to.
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Marc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Marc »

Not good news at all. I hope all starion members & friends/family are safe and sound..
82' Silver JA