did this air-fuel tuner ever catch on ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
quest
I love starions

did this air-fuel tuner ever catch on ?

Post by quest »

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2418/article.html
looks like a neat economical SAFC alternative
anybody know anything about them in use ? thanks
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Yep, ive built a few. They only work with 0-5v AFM's though, so dont work on frequency based AFM's
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

0-5v AFM or MAP, is fine for what I want it for.
Gonna look into sourcing a pre-assembled unit

also ame accross this laptop adjusted one http://www.14point7.com/UAFC.php
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

Is a staz afm frequency or voltage? im new to this sort of stuff sorry

87 Starion EX
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

frequency :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

quest wrote:0-5v AFM or MAP, is fine for what I want it for.
Gonna look into sourcing a pre-assembled unit

also ame accross this laptop adjusted one http://www.14point7.com/UAFC.php
They dont really work well on a map, as with an afm, they are sort of 3d tuning, wheras map they are only 2d
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Adriano wrote:
They dont really work well on a map, as with an afm, they are sort of 3d tuning, wheras map they are only 2d
why is this the case?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Basically a map reading 2 psi has the same output at 2000rpm and 5000rpm, wheras an AFM will read more voltage, as the voltage increases with airflow. The main drawback on these voltage benders is as you lean out the mixtures, the ignition timing is increased, so you usually get preignition before you get the mixtures you would like.
docile
Big Dorifto

Post by docile »

Yep, these are really only useful for non-turbo setups.
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Couldnt disagree more, they work really well on rb25det's, simply retard teh base timing 3 deg, and you can run almost optimal fuel and ignition for a highflow turbo up to around 220rwkw, which is a far cry from the 140-150 they normally make
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Basically a map reading 2 psi has the same output at 2000rpm and 5000rpm, wheras an AFM will read more voltage, as the voltage increases with airflow.
hmmmmm.... but a MAP wouldn't be able to fuel a motor properly if that were a problem, won't it ?
Aren't cells adjustable for specific RPMs ?
A SAFC II works excelent on both MAP and AFM... trying to grasp why this particular gadget wouldn't
The main drawback on these voltage benders is as you lean out the mixtures, the ignition timing is increased, so you usually get preignition before you get the mixtures you would like.
simply retard teh base timing 3 deg, and you can run almost optimal fuel and ignition for a highflow turbo up to around 220rwkw
yep, understanding what the device is actually doing, is the key to amazing results.
DSMs monitor knock and ignition timing via cheap dataloggers. Big part of why they're so quick, even as heavy as they are.
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Basically as you said, cells on these arent rpm based, they simply have voltage in and out. SAFC's have an rpm reference, although they have bugger all resolution.

Basically for a MAP sensored car a SAFC is better, but an AFM car this device is better