Microtech LTX8 ignition question ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
filiboy
I like starions

Microtech LTX8 ignition question ?

Post by filiboy »

I recently rebuild my starion 2.0 turbo engine, going sonata MPI and FMIC. I bought Microtech LTX8 from a friend, and I wonder can it control the standard starion ignition or I should change it for dual coils . Thanks !
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

What was it off before?
1985 JB Starion #157
filiboy
I like starions

Post by filiboy »

TOMSUN wrote:What was it off before?
it is still with optical trigger (the standard ignition) ?, was off ?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

filiboy wrote:
Pete means what car/motor was the computer fitted to before you got it ???
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
filiboy
I like starions

Post by filiboy »

OLD FART wrote:
filiboy wrote:
Pete means what car/motor was the computer fitted to before you got it ???
mazda rx7 with a rotor engine :beer
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

Post by bigmoz »

i have the same computer in my starion, in order to have it working with a starion you will have to have it remapped, i know in Australia this costs about au$200 and you have to send it off to microtech

Morris
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I was under the impression that the LTX series could be altered by the tuner to suit the engine (rotor, 4, 6 or 8 cyl)?

And I think the loom may be different.

It's been a while and my memory is fading... :pimp
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Yeh I fitted a Microtech MT8 to one of my Starions just recently. I used the L300 van optical distributor to give it a signal, and I hooked up the output of the Microtech to the Starion igniter with no problem at all. BUT my car does have a more modern igniter because it's a GSR-V.
However you can just buy a newer igniter and use that, with your existing coil. Works fine. The ignition module to use is a Bosch BIM034 and it's real easy to wire, and works straight off the Microtech igniter output.

Note that if the Microtech is set up for a hall effect sensor input instead of optical, then you can just use the older starion hall effect distributor, as long as you lock off the mechanical advance. Unfortunately to know that you either need to know about the car it came off, or call Microtech and they may be able to tell you by a firmware code version, OR in my case I just had to test and see!

You will definitely need the Microtech reprogrammed for the Starion engine though by a dyno tuner that knows Microtechs.

Hope that helps.
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
filiboy
I like starions

Post by filiboy »

MitsuMadness wrote:Yeh I fitted a Microtech MT8 to one of my Starions just recently. I used the L300 van optical distributor to give it a signal, and I hooked up the output of the Microtech to the Starion igniter with no problem at all. BUT my car does have a more modern igniter because it's a GSR-V.
However you can just buy a newer igniter and use that, with your existing coil. Works fine. The ignition module to use is a Bosch BIM034 and it's real easy to wire, and works straight off the Microtech igniter output.

Note that if the Microtech is set up for a hall effect sensor input instead of optical, then you can just use the older starion hall effect distributor, as long as you lock off the mechanical advance. Unfortunately to know that you either need to know about the car it came off, or call Microtech and they may be able to tell you by a firmware code version, OR in my case I just had to test and see!

You will definitely need the Microtech reprogrammed for the Starion engine though by a dyno tuner that knows Microtechs.

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot, I replaced the igniter and the optical trigger from a galant.
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Awesome! :D
That's great to hear, glad I could help
:beer
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
filiboy
I like starions

Post by filiboy »

MitsuMadness wrote:Awesome! :D
That's great to hear, glad I could help
:beer
Today I finished my low budget starion project, and now I'm wasting my time with my back up Megasquirt ECU cause I have great troubles with Microtech LTX8, cause everybody advises me to send it back to Australia in Microtech :wtf: and that is not so easy to do when you live in Bulgaria and you have no other options :cry: , Thanks everybody !!!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

+ i heard a rumour that microtech are not doing that reconfiguring thing anymore...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au