Oil pressure problems

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
tony45
[P] Plater austaz

Post by tony45 »

dirtygalant wrote:it could be the oil pressure relief valve stuck closed.
Hi there,
first as said in previous comments ,check the oil pressure with a mechcanical gauge ,if the oil pressure is still high as dity galant said it's got to be oil pressure relief valve stuck closed .
Tony 45 , still freezing here not a good time to visit here if you like the heat .otherwise we have the history that you may like.
Time won't wait
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

tony45 wrote:
dirtygalant wrote:it could be the oil pressure relief valve stuck closed.
Hi there,
first as said in previous comments ,check the oil pressure with a mechcanical gauge ,if the oil pressure is still high as dity galant said it's got to be oil pressure relief valve stuck closed .
Tony 45 , still freezing here not a good time to visit here if you like the heat .otherwise we have the history that you may like.
Anyone got a photo or can they point me to where this oil presser relief valve is, im flying a bit blind with out a manual on the motor unfortunately, i think it might be worth checking it out just be on the safe side
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Johnyturbo wrote: Anyone got a photo or can they point me to where this oil presser relief valve is, im flying a bit blind with out a manual on the motor unfortunately, i think it might be worth checking it out just be on the safe side
Dowload the engine manual. Click technical above, look for 4G63 engine manual. Go to page 6, shows where the valve is in the system, then go to page 86 it shows the oil pump, pressure valve and spring in the diagram. Should give you a fair idea of where to look. Undo the plug and make sure everything moves freely, spring not broken etc.
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

Alspos wrote:
Johnyturbo wrote: Anyone got a photo or can they point me to where this oil presser relief valve is, im flying a bit blind with out a manual on the motor unfortunately, i think it might be worth checking it out just be on the safe side
Dowload the engine manual. Click technical above, look for 4G63 engine manual. Go to page 6, shows where the valve is in the system, then go to page 86 it shows the oil pump, pressure valve and spring in the diagram. Should give you a fair idea of where to look. Undo the plug and make sure everything moves freely, spring not broken etc.
Cheers

thanks for the direction there Al,

i'm pretty sure i have worked out what bolt is the oil pressure Relief valve, but took a photo and labeled it just to be sure, would anyone be able to confirm if i have the right one before i start cracking bolts open? i figure it either has to be the one i have labeled or the "unknown bolt" :?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42338950@N04/4377340833/

Thanks again guys
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Unknown bolt = Oil cooler bypass valve (big picture page 89) Diagram on P86 shows it in a weird spot.

Inconvenient bolt is the one you're after. #4 (5,6,7) in diagram on P86.
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

I have a similar problem. As soon as I start the car, the oil pressure gauge shows max pressure. But the needle starts to creep up even before the engine is started. Here is a video: http://starionclub.servegame.com/stario ... _start.3gp
I already tried with another instrument cluster it's doing the same thing.
Injectors are leaking, so that's why it doesn't start instantly. I think my oil pressure sensor is not working properly but I'd like your opinion before I get my hands dirty.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

when oil is cold, pressure is high.. if the pressure drops as the engine warms up, it shouldn't be a problem? have you tried thinner oils?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

thrash wrote:when oil is cold, pressure is high.. if the pressure drops as the engine warms up, it shouldn't be a problem? have you tried thinner oils?
I guess that's directed at me because Johnyturbo already tried thinner oil IIRC. I have 10W40 in my car I wouldn't want to use any thinner than that. If you watch the video you can see the oil pressure gauge moving before I start the car. It creeps up half way if I wait a little more before I start the engine.
I don't think it's normal even for a stone cold engine to idle at max oil pressure and as you can see from the filename (starion_warm_start.3gp) it's not cold.
When I bought the car the oil pressure gauge used to show the recommended values:
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Kroz - sounds more like your sender might be not working properly, if you search for the manual you can test the resistence the sender outputs and see if its within the required range.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

RiceThief wrote:Kroz - sounds more like your sender might be not working properly, if you search for the manual you can test the resistence the sender outputs and see if its within the required range.
I searched for it but never found it. I've got a sender in the parts car, but I don't know what condition it's in. Will it help if I compare the resistance of the senders when the engine is not running?

Edit: I tried to measure the resistance but I couldn't get any reading at all on the parts car. I measured around 110 ohm resistance on the other car. But now the needle goes all the way up to max when I turn the key to the ignition position.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

FYI the oil preasure relief spring is held in place by a 22mm nut that is very close to the bottom of timing cover and if you want to increase preasure you can shim it up with washers BUT they must be installed under the nut NOT under the other end of the spring as it will block the small relief hole in the piston
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Krorz wrote:I searched for it but never found it. I've got a sender in the parts car, but I don't know what condition it's in. Will it help if I compare the resistance of the senders when the engine is not running?

Edit: I tried to measure the resistance but I couldn't get any reading at all on the parts car. I measured around 110 ohm resistance on the other car. But now the needle goes all the way up to max when I turn the key to the ignition position.
I cant seem to find it in the manual either but I found these two post that could be some help.

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ure+sender

Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

RiceThief wrote:
Krorz wrote:I searched for it but never found it. I've got a sender in the parts car, but I don't know what condition it's in. Will it help if I compare the resistance of the senders when the engine is not running?

I cant seem to find it in the manual either but I found these two post that could be some help.

Thank you very much! I feel ashamed now that I didn't find these when I searched for oil pressure problems earlier.
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

Krorz wrote:
RiceThief wrote:

Thank you very much! I feel ashamed now that I didn't find these when I searched for oil pressure problems earlier.
Yeah i have had a bit of trouble searching in the past as well, you kind of just have to go through everything that pops up in the search and normally it will be hidden in there somewhere :D

I tried to watch your vid on the oil pressure but it sounds like your sender is shot, but it could be sender and gauge like im currently looking at. i don't know if its even possible for a motor to build pressure while its not running.

I think if you are going to replace the sender your best bet is to get a new one, they cost about $70 Australian so you should be able to get one fairly cheaply over there.

As for my update, stuffed if i can work it out at this stage. :?

Al i tried that other instrument cluster you lent me and while it was still reading high it was not reading crazy high, took it for a run around the block and stayed up there even on idle,(i made sure i let it warm up before i took it for a run around the block as well) i then removed that one and put my old gauge back and it did the same as the one you lent me. Took it for a drive later that night and the oil presser after a bit was reading in a "normal" zone LOL .

i have bought a manual/after market gauge but need a adapter to put it on, might pick one up this weekend if time permits.
As for the relief valve i have not had a look at it yet as i don't have the tools down here right now to open her up. The only thing i could think of if its valve related is that the spring is jamming and unjamming when ever it feels like it do they normally do that if they are on the way out? or do they stay proper jammed?
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

If you are doing a search that contains more than one word, use search all the terms button instead of the default search for any terms.