L300 head onto 4g63 block ...whats it involve?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Tamgesic
I love starions

L300 head onto 4g63 block ...whats it involve?

Post by Tamgesic »

The 4g64 head flows better etc apparently and seems to be a pretty regular mod guys do to their Starions.

I cant go mpi yet but am told the head will be a straight swap and give better flow .

Is this correct? as ive found one

So just a matter of unbolting head off the Staz and chucking this one on ?

Can someone tell me the ins and outs of how exactly to do this remembering im a beginner?
Umbrella girls rock. That is all
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Re: L300 head onto 4g63 block ...whats it involve?

Post by OLD FART »

Tamgesic wrote:The 4g64 head flows better etc apparently and seems to be a pretty regular mod guys do to their Starions.

I cant go mpi yet but am told the head will be a straight swap and give better flow .

Is this correct? as ive found one

So just a matter of unbolting head off the Staz and chucking this one on ?

Can someone tell me the ins and outs of how exactly to do this remembering im a beginner?
That's it BUT it will lower the compression ratio due to a larger chamber in the head .From my fadeing memorY
63 HEAD =APP 48CC
64 HEAD = app60CC and 3mm larger valves and ports
Suggest you pm Redzone for finer details
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Yes it's a straight swap.

Oldfart is right, the compression ratio will drop considerably and considering you are most likely running standard pistons it isn't a great idea unless you do a rebuild and replace them with something with a smaller dish to make up for the bigger combustion chamber.

If it's not to expensive (not over $250) it's definitely worth grabbing as they are gems (Rare as hen's teeth) and won't loose their value.

To change the head, you will need to undo all the ancillaries (alternator. powersteering and air con belts, timing belt, inlet manifold and exhaust manifold, unbolt turbo from dump pipe etc). Then undo the head studs and then finally make the swap. It sounds a lot harder than it actually is, just time consuming and fiddly.
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

I know I used to think all this was hard but been doing a bit of work on Staz latley and it really is just a matter of undoing bolts , replacing part and doing bolts back up ! ..so far.

Yeah i found one under $250 .

But are you saying you cant do without a rebuild? I was told you can but i wouldnt trust the person who told me anyway .

So is it possible to bolt it on or not going to be good for engine?
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

The dramatically lower compression ratio which would result from fitting the 4G64 2.4 head would far out-weigh the gains you would get from the larger valves and ports. To make the most of it, you'ld need to run higher compression pistons at the very least to make up for it (as what Old Fart outlined), and then change to MPI and use a larger turbo to fully reap the benefits.

It's not going to give you any gains if you just swap the L300 head on your standard block with standard pistons, and bolting your standard ECI inlet manifold and standard exhaust manifold and TC05 back on.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

WELL DONE !!!

My thoughts confirmed.

Cheers

will be nice to do later down the track once mpi but for now it looks like ill still start with putting the tc06 on .
2000_turbo
Big Dorifto

Post by 2000_turbo »

It is possible to fit the 2.4 head on a 2.0L engine. We (The Netherlands) have done this a few time's. You have to take a total of 1,2 mm of the head. You can also remove the casting imperfections out of the intake ports for better flow.

Gr,

Martijn.
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

.... Wouldnt' it be easier to just deck the head rather than swapping to high comp pistons and what not?

Also you'd get a dead flat surface which will seal better.

There's -always- a 2nd option :)
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Most cylinder heads have a minimum thickness marker on them. If you deck below that there is all sorts of problems that can occur. Don't forget that if you ever needed to pull the head off again, that it may be a throw away item because, there is simply not enough meat left on the head.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Entaran wrote:.... Wouldnt' it be easier to just deck the head rather than swapping to high comp pistons and what not?

Also you'd get a dead flat surface which will seal better.

There's -always- a 2nd option :)
Yes but to deck the head enough to make up for the 6:1 compression would end up with valves hitting the pistons.. also as what Shannon said the max you would generally shave a head is about 0.5-1mm anyway which would account for about a raise of about 0.5-1 in the compression ratio.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
2000_turbo
Big Dorifto

Post by 2000_turbo »

As I said before, we did deck the head and took 1,2/1,3 mm of the head. No problems so far, the car is running without any problems for 5 years now.

Gr,

Martijn.
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

or deck the block as well. you just need to get the piston squish( or quench) area down to reduce the risk of detonation and then run more boost to get the cylinder BMEP back up.
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

this head is only $120 which is a steal. Maybe i should get it anyway
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah jump on it for when u build a good motor. we have found a cometic multilayer gasket that works with it. the 4G64 head has bigger ports and valves, and the valve angle is different aswell. you will need to open up your manifolds to take advantage of it though.

with 12cc dish VR4 pistons in my orange car and the 64 head it made awesome power without too much effort.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

would it be fair to say that the ex i have might have the higher compression pistons which when combined with taking a bit off the head (0.8mm or something) might result in a workable compression ratio?