Terrible engine vibration above 4000rpm, lack of power

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Terrible engine vibration above 4000rpm, lack of power

Post by Champaign »

As the title suggests, the starion suffers from a serious lack of power... Compared to my Cordia, it pulls about a 30% as good....

So some help here would be great, the head gasket has recently been replaced because it blew between cylinders 2 and 3.

Car runs better, but shitty power and the exhaust is stuffed anyway... so she sounds pretty gross...

Any ideas on why this vibration is occurring would be fantastic! :beer
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Re: Terrible engine vibration above 4000rpm, lack of power

Post by OLD FART »

Champaign wrote:As the title suggests, the starion suffers from a serious lack of power... Compared to my Cordia, it pulls about a 30% as good....

So some help here would be great, the head gasket has recently been replaced because it blew between cylinders 2 and 3.

Car runs better, but shitty power and the exhaust is stuffed anyway... so she sounds pretty gross...

Any ideas on why this vibration is occurring would be fantastic! :beer
If its engine vibration and I see the head gasket has just been replaced and it has only started since the h/g fix then I would think that the balance shaft timing would be a prime suspect
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

okay thanks, can you recommend a solution? maybe there's a previous topic that discussed how to set this properly? cheers!
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

might have to work out and address why the head gasket went in the first place..... or is this a myth?
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

nope definately not a myth, here's proof:

I would also like to know why the gasket blew... it's a pain, apparently a few heads have been cracked by the previous owner too.... so yeah, any ideas would be appreciated! :pimp
docile
Big Dorifto

Post by docile »

Read this http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=6082

Set the timing to top dead centre on the compression stroke and then line the balance shaft gear mark up with the pointer.

If the HG goes again I think you may have to get the block shaved.
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

thanks, I'll have a look... ;)
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Champaign wrote:okay thanks, can you recommend a solution? maybe there's a previous topic that discussed how to set this properly? cheers!
I believe there is a bolt behind the engine mount on the inlet side of the block on the casting 4 the b/s where you insert a screwdriver
IF it will only go in an inch or so then you will need to turn the o/pump sprocket 360 degrees and realign the timing mark an then the s/driver should go in app 2-2.5 inches this will syncronise the 2 shafts
If this is wrong then i'm sure that someone will correct me
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
starspeed
Former Freak

sirus motors !!!!

Post by starspeed »

the OLD FART is right :D if the screawdriver only goes in 20mm
the oil balance shaft is out 180 degrees :beer if it goes in more
than 20mm its spoton !!!!!! :D :beer
P.S. i had the same problem on my 84 L300 4x4 at 100klms i thought
the car was going to vibrate off the road !!! was the oil balance shaft !!
STARSPEED

86 COLTSPEED JD STARION ( my baby )
2000 MITSUBISHI CHALLENGER LS 4X4 ( daily driver )
2010 KIA SORRENTO R ( family car )
83 stebercraft 475 DF - 70hp johnson ( my toy )
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

ahh awesome, I'll hopefully make a start on that tomorrow.... it's gonna be 42 degrees here 3 days in a row this week.... so that's gonna suck a bit...

I'll have a look at these suggestions, and get back to ya's... :D
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

How to do it is also in the engine manual.....and align all the pointer marks.
zegga
[P] Plates

Post by zegga »

Just a question to this .
You dont really need the balance shaft right? Mines never been hooked up since i bought it.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

there are two balance shafts - one is on its own seperate belt, while the other one is driven off the back of the oil pump.

having the belt driven one disconnected wont cause too much vibration, but having the oil pump driven one out of phase, and in conjunction with the belt driven balance shaft trying to counter-balance the crank *and* the other shaft out of sync, that's when you get horrible vibrations.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

Hi again guys,

I've fixed the vibration by resetting the balance shafts! thanks for the help!

Took the starion to my mechanic to get tuned up, and when I got the Starion back, it's still lacking power, she's not responsive at all and accelerating feels like I'm pulling a 10 ton trailer from behind! The mechanic replaced the crankshaft sprocket and key, and set the timing, yet the crankshaft pulley still wiggles like a bitch... they told me she goes like a rocket, but when I pick up the car it's as slow as it ever was, when I left their garage I'd say it was performing at about 70% and progressively got worse the closer I got to home (a 60km drive), now it's almost way it was before I took it to them and performance wise I'd rate it at about 35%...

I checked the timing, and it still appears to be correct, so it doesn't look like that has moved from when they set it, I rang my mechanic and he said to jack the rear wheels up and spin them in neutral, the wheels don't spin freely, and seem a little sticky against the brake pads... Compared to the front wheels on my Cordia, it's alot more difficult to rotate in comparison.

I don't know what else to do, so if anyone has experienced this before I'd sure like to hear from you! cheers
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Strange....

Does it make any boost?
If your wastegate is stuck open, it's going to feel very sluggish.
1985 JB Starion #157