vr4 pistons compression test

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

oggy wrote:reason i went to forged vr4 pistons is because at 18psi my cast hypertec pistons didn't really like it too much...... ended up being able to pull chunks of ring lands out of 1 piston and the other had a few cracks in the lands. 7,500km old motor too!

i do also have a ported head, i think with some combustion chamber smoothing, and roller rockers with a billet cam from RPW. :) which would affect readings, but i was mainly after a vague indication.

i was mainly doing the comp test to see if cylinders were even, but i was a little worried when comp came out so low. but not now :D
thats a tune related problem, not a piston problem, your new forgies will do the same if you dont retune it properly..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
oggy
[L] Plates

Post by oggy »

^^ i had thought about that posibility too, but car has microtech LT-10s, MPI, direct fire ignition etc etc. had a full tune on 15psi. but i would say that tune definately played a part in it
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

oggy wrote:^^ i had thought about that posibility too, but car has microtech LT-10s, MPI, direct fire ignition etc etc. had a full tune on 15psi. but i would say that tune definately played a part in it
car can have all those things and still have a shit tune on it that wrecks ringlands
oggy
[L] Plates

Post by oggy »

yeah, but what i mean was that the car was fine on 15psi. it was bumping it up to 18psi and bringing boost on alot earlier/harder when it blew.

not trying to argue or anything, as i do think that the tune played a roll in it, just not sure how much.

and yes, car has been re-tuned LOL
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

it doesnt take sherlock holmes to predict that an engine running 18 psi thats tuned for 15psi isnt gonna live very long....

ping ping ping ping PING BANG KNOCKA KNOCKA KNOCKA :flush
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au