vr4 pistons compression test

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oggy
[L] Plates

vr4 pistons compression test

Post by oggy »

g'day all!

just a quick question, for those of you running vr4 pistons with SOHC head. what compression test results (warm) are you getting?

cheers :beer
docile
Big Dorifto

Post by docile »

I remember reading compression goes down to 6.8 or something like that so I think you should be getting 120psi or therabouts on a fresh build.
oggy
[L] Plates

Post by oggy »

cool. i knew that they comp ratio went pretty low but i didn't know that low! 20psi here i come :pimp

mines got 115psi in all 4.

cheers! :D
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

it goes to 6.8 with a 2.4 head, 7.5 with a 2.0 jet valve type head, havnt measured a T head yet. somewhere around 120 ish would be good i'd say for a 2.0 head.

orange car with VR4 type JE's and 2.4 head had 100psi comp on a fresh motor, and hasnt changed in 4 years. starts fine, power comes on at 3000 rpm :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

shouldn't camshaft choice be mentioned ? or no difference to comp test readings ?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yes it will make a difference but its pretty rare for people over here to change cams..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

camshaft will only make a difference to the number that the gauge reads.. but all cylinders being roughly the same reading is the more important thing isn't it?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
docile
Big Dorifto

Post by docile »

quest wrote:shouldn't camshaft choice be mentioned ? or no difference to comp test readings ?
Yes, intake closing degree. A more accurate test is a leak down test rather then comp test.

I should mention a cr of 6.8 will always make less power then the same motor with a cr of 8.5 so if you can avoid it, please do so.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

yes, but they're comparing compression gauge readings, relative to compression ratio. A longer duration cam will lower/skew that.
pretty rare for people over here to change cams..

From reading here, u seem to have at least 2 excellent low priced proven regrids from Wade & Camtech. Why would one who pursues performance, go as deep as pistons but stick with the stock cam ? that is odd.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

usually pistons are a necessity, cams are a power thing, usually not done until you start really throwing money at em :)

iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

cams are easy to change at any time really
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

quest wrote:Why would one who pursues performance, go as deep as pistons but stick with the stock cam ? that is odd.
Usually anything above 15psi will kill our stock pistons due to bad ring land design.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

a good reasonable priced cam seem like a very wise addition for such a minimal cash outlay. You won't have to run as much boost to make the same power with a cam.
With boost built up in the intake, that "restriction" heating things up, surely not doing those ring lands any favours
oggy
[L] Plates

Post by oggy »

reason i went to forged vr4 pistons is because at 18psi my cast hypertec pistons didn't really like it too much...... ended up being able to pull chunks of ring lands out of 1 piston and the other had a few cracks in the lands. 7,500km old motor too!

i do also have a ported head, i think with some combustion chamber smoothing, and roller rockers with a billet cam from RPW. :) which would affect readings, but i was mainly after a vague indication.

i was mainly doing the comp test to see if cylinders were even, but i was a little worried when comp came out so low. but not now :D
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

My ported & polished & cc'd head now resideing in sunny downtown Rocky had 50.4 cc chambers before it was recoed and a skim to ensure a true surface .You can do the math if you have the negative volume of the pistons +the hg volume
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL