Build up of Track Car

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Build up of Track Car

Post by WANTSOM »

Well its been a while getting this stuff together but here is a bit of the path I went down in building up the BCFH (Bastard Car from Hell). I'll do this in a few stages.

The first being the arrival of the smashed car which was intended as the donor car for the mechanicals

Then a photo showing all 3 cars that contributed to the build. The white JB was the donor shell and the grey car just because for $1200 with a good engine, gearbox and LSD it was too good to pass up even the though the rust was riddled with some metal. (The Silver one was Maries car - bloody nice one too.)

This was the state of the interior of the smashed one when we got it -

We then proceeded to strip the "good car" interior and detar it -

and eventually came up with this

This is the car on stands during the strip/rebuild process

to this

and then this

and finally this

I will update this thread in coming days with suspension, brakes and motor stuff and then some of how it looks now and then some when the TC goes in
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Looking awesome man. Nice to see a few of us building track cars now :)
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

sexy!!!

why the colours of germany on the side, if you don't mind my asking?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

This is the sort of stuff I love reading about and seeing all the pics. Thanks for the tour! Continue please
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

German colours mean nothing other than they were the offcuts my mate who does vinyl graphics for a living had left over and they seemed to go well together
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

looks tasty! :drool:
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

That is one sweet looking car!
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Nice work mate, talk about a labour of love though, started in 2003 and you're still not finished :o . Definately need more engine bay pics :D and brakes and suspension.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
2JA's
Big Dorifto

Post by 2JA's »

how bout a front end shot? I'm keen to see what a coltspeed bar looks finished
Where will it end
starspeed
Former Freak

track

Post by starspeed »

:D AWESOME :D lookn good !!!! :beer
STARSPEED

86 COLTSPEED JD STARION ( my baby )
2000 MITSUBISHI CHALLENGER LS 4X4 ( daily driver )
2010 KIA SORRENTO R ( family car )
83 stebercraft 475 DF - 70hp johnson ( my toy )
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

also., what size/offset wheels are they? they suit the car extremely well, not just the style, but also the sizing.. offset and dish are as perfect as can be methinks!
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Hi Greg,
Now that my JA is nearing completion, I too am thinking about building a trackday car out of the two donor cars that are left. I will have just about everything I need to do this so it wont cost me much and it will be good to see another staz on the road/track. Any helpful hints or ideas ?
I'm figuring a track day car is a lot easier, A I dont care about the paint quality, B there is no interior to worry about, C what's needed ? Engine, Seat, wheels, steering wheel, harness ? Anyway it just a dream ( I promised my wife a Vegie garden once the JA was finished :roll: )
Cheers
Darryl
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

looks awesome greg. Love the colour scheme
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

thrash wrote:also., what size/offset wheels are they? they suit the car extremely well, not just the style, but also the sizing.. offset and dish are as perfect as can be methinks!
+1! Good work!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Wheels are Simmons B45 15x8 rears and 15x7 fronts. Note the front wheels in the photo arent Simmons but we have since fitted Simmons all the way round now). We played around with offsets a lot to get clearance of the brakes (bigger calipers front and rear). It think we took 5mm off standard then added 25mm bolt on spacers f&r to get the track wider. Memory is a bit fuzzy now.

Daryl, this "$5000 track car" has set me back about $30K with a new motor still to come. In fairness I went a bit overboard in a number of areas but it depends what you want the car. A 5k cheapie simply will be outpaced on any given track day against the myriad Evo, WRX and GTR's that show up. If its just a fun toy to play with you are after then I would suggest just gut it, get some R rated tyres and uprated springs/shocks and then just a harness to hold you in (use the standard Starion seat). The biggest improvement will be in weight reduction - its very noticeable.
Last edited by WANTSOM on Tue May 12, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.