PVC pipes

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
pcuser51
I like starions

PVC pipes

Post by pcuser51 »

:roll: New cooler arrived had athough why not use 50mm PVC pipe instead of metal? or am i a compleat dipstick :roll:
CHEERS ALAN
Cam
c'mon change my thingy

Post by Cam »

I'm sorry but i havent taken my 'chill pills today'
Your more than a complete dipstick for thinking that.
Sorry to off offended you.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

im sure pressure wise it would be fine, but movement, heat and prob loads of other stuff will kill it. besides, who wants to see pvc pipe under there bonnet?
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
pcuser51
I like starions

PVC pipes

Post by pcuser51 »

:lol: none taken cam, come on take those chill pills cant we have fun in this section :roll:
CHEERS ALAN
Cam
c'mon change my thingy

Post by Cam »

I just had a thought,
After going for a drive if you used PVC you could adjust where the pipes go since they'd be pretty damn hot and flexable in the engine bay. specially the bit that goes onto the turbo.
Mmmmmm love the nice burning smell of plastic
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Try this, put a piece of pvc pipe over the engine and go for a drive. When you open the bonnet again, have a look at the pipe, it will probably be bending down over the motor. You can heat and bend pvc with a heat gun, I think an engine bay would probably do the same thing.
Glynn
Dorifto!

Post by Glynn »

you could use silicon pipping, it's thermally stable and will not deform at pressures below 32 psi or so. we use it on the ram air inlet side of the a/c cooling packs on the metro-liner. it would be advisable to lock wire it as well as clamping it. we use compessable threaded connectors and to my knowledge there has never been a pipe blow off. silicon also has high latent heat. however once it attains heat saturation it is prone to heat soak
Glynn
Dorifto!

Post by Glynn »

just a though mate, you could use pvc to make quite a good cold air intake. by heating the inlet side and pushing it over a funnel the pvc would take on the form of the funnel. according to Bernoulli's Theorem "when a fluid flowing through a tube reaches a constriction, or narrowing of the tube, the speed of the fluid flowing through that constriction is increased and it's pressure is decreased" keeping this in mind, the flow of air is increased. also when we compress air it takes on heat, when we decompress air it looses heat (such as the effect in aircon) so in effect there will be some heat shedding of the intake air plus an increase of dynamic flow. (making for a happy driver :) not to mention your engine )
the pipe could easily be bent and manipulated to reach your air box (by heating and bending for example. it would be suggested to fill the pipe with sand and block the ends so as not to crimp it in the bend)

take it easy man,

"experimentation is the only way forward"
"every failure brings us one step closer to success"
pcuser51
I like starions

Post by pcuser51 »

:D GLYNN have already got a 90mm pvc cold air feed for air box, the other idea of pvc piping for cooler pipe went out the window i ended up doing it in stainless steel and then had to wrap part of it because of heat soak.as it turned out i could of used the pvc pipe to go from the cooler to
the throttle-body then wrap it in heatshield, the only reason i did not use
pvc was because of the heat factor
CHEERS ALAN
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

pvc melts

Post by WANTSOM »

but what a good idea for moulding pipe shapes for exhaust manifolds and the like - make a great template by heating, bending and taking to a fabricator and say - here cop this in stainless and weld it up.

What do you think
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Im currently making a PVC exhaust..
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

PVC

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

I used pvc for exactly what Greg mentioned. Made it up then took it to fabricator. I am now running a temporary PVC pipe from turbo to intercooler wrapped in thermo wrap. I will take it to fabricator to get metal one made up. I dont imagine PVC would handle race track temps but I am assuming inlet temp wont be that great for general road use. After all Rx8 along with lots of other cars these days have plastic inlet manifold and these are bolted straight to heat. By the way I used pressure pipe not normal PVC.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
Glynn
Dorifto!

Post by Glynn »

let me know how you go with that cookie :D
seriously, yeah you probably could but there are alot of factors to mainfold design. the runner length, width, taper angle (if any), angle
of intersection for example, designing an exhaust manifold is much like designing a musical instrument... complecated if you want it to perform
correctly and efficiently (and lets face it, producing more power is making better use of fuel)
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Cookiemonster wrote:Im currently making a PVC exhaust..
To go with your cardboard roll cage???
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

It's all about weight.