mpi vs twincam

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
benny
I love starions

mpi vs twincam

Post by benny »

well thanks to savings, mr rudd and my wife giving permission i have some money to throw at the staz. so this is where i'm at:-

$1500
wolfv3 with hand controller
intercooler + piping
sonata mani modded with vn tb
twin post coils + ignitor
450cc injectors + pressure reg

BUT

i think throwing all that on the old girl now might be the straw that breaks her back and have me looking at an engine rebuild.

so do i sell what i don't need and join the twincam club or get the mpi finished and start saving for a rebuild?
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

If you having trouble affording MPI on the stock motor forget twin cam.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Re: mpi vs twincam

Post by OLD FART »

benny wrote:well thanks to savings, mr rudd and my wife giving permission i have some money to throw at the staz. so this is where i'm at:-

$1500
wolfv3 with hand controller
intercooler + piping
sonata mani modded with vn tb
twin post coils + ignitor
450cc injectors + pressure reg

BUT

i think throwing all that on the old girl now might be the straw that breaks her back and have me looking at an engine rebuild.

so do i sell what i don't need and join the twincam club or get the mpi finished and start saving for a rebuild?
Depends what you want as what you have with say a GT2871 will get you app 300 hp atw but if you want to spend app $4k more ????? do your sums first the choice is yours :)
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Which way you go will depend on how much power you want to make and what your budget is. If I was in your position i would go ahead with the mpi as you already have all the gear. Then rebuild your block with twin cam pistons.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I second that motion. Trust me, going MPI is much cheaper then doing a twin cam conversion. But if you are aiming high, and its something you can't get with SOHC, then make the investment in DOHC. But you should be able to achieve what your after with SOHC and MPI. Unless your goal is like 400hp+
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

thanks for the advice seeing as i'm not chasing huge power i'm going to finish the mpi and deal with the rebuild if and when it happens.

i should be able to spend some of the cash left over on other bits that need fixing/replacing but i have been putting off. :beer
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i have a question related to this.. would dohc be more efficient than sohc all else being the same (including power output)? If so, by how much, in terms of fuel, say?

obviously i don't think anyone will be able to give an exact answer.. but.. any ideas?

sorry if i've hijacked your thread beny
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Keep your money. You and everybody else in this country will have to pay back the money Rudd is wasting now in the form higher taxes later when he sends this country broke. Oh, wait a minute, he has already sent us broke and he has only been in office one year. Well done labour, good to see some things never change. :( :x
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

you can't really blame labour for this unless you want to blame him for sending America and the rest of the world broke too. He is just trying to make things easier for the every day person. He has the right ideas, but time will tell if any of the backfire.
boosted88
[P] Plates

Post by boosted88 »

At least your PM appears half human unlike ours how did Clarkson describe him Hum :wink:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

option 3 benny.

sell your JA and buy my white JB :D
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

redzone wrote:option 3 benny.

sell your JA and buy my white JB :D
damn you..... lol nah i'd be kidding myself if i thought i could get money for my JA, even with the mpi gear. especially if that white JB is what?? $3200 :wtf:

actually i might have to keep that cash aside and build on it buy a "new" straight up and wreck mine out for whatever bits are still any good, that might be the go. oh fark it i don't know, i'm not spending a cent until i'm 100% sure on what i'm doing
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

thrash wrote:i have a question related to this.. would dohc be more efficient than sohc all else being the same (including power output)? If so, by how much, in terms of fuel, say?

obviously i don't think anyone will be able to give an exact answer.. but.. any ideas?

sorry if i've hijacked your thread beny
2L examples here ~300hp seem to match the twincam output with similar boost.
They all have camshaft upgrades tho... but... it costs very reasonable money
(unlike the twincam camshafts)

Torque contributes tremendously to the driving pleasure and fuel mileage also.

A couple heavy street 400hp G54s on SQClub manage 35 miles per gallon.
A 2 valve is quite capable and will satify "most". We just don't see the same recipee applied to the 2L as
the 2.6s, to make accurate assessment of the 2L sohc limits
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

35 mpg = 7 litres per 100kms? :wtf:

are you sure? that's hybrid car territorry.....

or have i done my calculations wrong?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

these days my car does about 13.5 litres per 100 kms..

if i can get that down to 11.5L per 100kms, i will be extremely happy (with efficient driving of course.. i don't expect to be thrashing it and still getting that kind of economy)
quest wrote: