Coolant leaking from around the front of head

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
sillbeer
I like starions

Coolant leaking from around the front of head

Post by sillbeer »

Got in the car this morning to go up the shops, came back out to car and there's a pool of coolant on the deck. Baby it home and there's steam pissing out from the area where head meets block at the front, around the cam belt cover.

There's no water in the oil that I can tell from a cursory glance, and a quick chat with the mechanic says it does sound like a corroded head. Problem is I'm wanting to sell this car, and without a working engine it's a very hard sell.

Anyone had anything similar happen to them and know possible causes/affects.

Cheers
Brendan
1984 Galant (Sigma) Turbo (aka 4-door Starion) - *** NOW SOLD ***
http://www.ipixel.com.au/temp/84galantturbo/

Silvia Rebuild Project
http://www.sillbeer.com/
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

could it be coming from the water pump area? if so it could be coming from the weep holes in the water pump which dumps coolant out as the coolant leaks beyond the bearing seals, or it could even be the water pump gasket itself leaking.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

last time i had this kind of issue (wasn't with a starion), i cleaned up the engine bay , filled her up with coolant and drove it hard to my mechanic (short drive). He can then look for green spots to find where the leak is.

you can do the same thing but just bring it back home and check yourself first through.. i took it straight to the mechs back then because i knew f#ck all about how to fix car related stuff.. but it was still pretty obvious to me where the leaks were from when we popped the hood.

don't pump fresh cold coolant into a car that is still hot :beer
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Take the car to a reputable radiator shop where they can manually pressurise the block & check to see where the coolant leaks out. Quick & easy & can be done cold. They can tell if its water pump leaking or somewhere else.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser