short shifter

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
S0LJAH
I love starions

short shifter

Post by S0LJAH »

anyone ever made or seen a short shifter for a starion?

my gbox (l200 ute) shifts like a dog and im hoping a starion stick will fit in and that theres a short shifter avaliable

i think its really slowing down my 1/4 times
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Yep ive got one in my car that i bought off a guy in the USA shortens up the shifts immensely. PM me if you want his details, im not sure if he has any more in stock or not though.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Dont buy one, you can adapt yours very easily. I used to make heaps of them, made one for Cookie, Hoonie, myself etc. you just cut the ball off at the end of your shift lever. Add in however much you want to ( normally around 20 - 30mm and then you add spacers under your shifter plate when you bolt it back down. If you cut 20mm add 20mm so the ball sits in the right spot. I will be doing mine in a few weeks, will add pics of the process if you like.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

awesome sounds relatively easy too :D

is there any specific length i should be trying to add?

do you have any idea how much urs has added lunacy or are you able to measure it/take pics? would be very helpful, how much was urs?

i take it i also chop the top down as well?do i chop it down the same amount as i lengthen the bottom and space the pivot?

ive only got one stick so dont wanna fark it rofl
Last edited by S0LJAH on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
sigmaproject
Big Dorifto

Post by sigmaproject »

I am another that will be watching this thread with interest :D
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

ok this s the mk1 starion shifter for sale on ebay

i take it i just need to make a spacer like the square one there which would lift the whole gearstick plate up

and lengthen my shifter like this(ignore the fact its a wrx shifter so looks different)

Last edited by S0LJAH on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Thats the idea, same principal as what we do with the starion shifter. I have a really hectic few weeks coming up nut i will do mine and document the process for you to see.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

whcich way do you do it vulpes? im planing on getting started on mine today but ill need an engineering place to make my spacer so just wondering what way is better?
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

I've added 25mm to the bottom of my shifter without removing any from the top, which results in a total throw of about 75mm for a 1~2 shift or a 3~4 shift. If the throw distance is too short for you, then only add about 20mm to the bottom of the stick.
Also I think a Jap 5 speed out of a Sigma (not the Borg Warner box) has the same stick as the Starion stick. Maybe someone can confirm.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

ok cheers
yea sigma an starion sticks are the same i believe however the l200 one is different

ive just been down playing round with my gearstick and working out what im going to do

at the moment the throw is roughly 100mm stock for a 3-4 shift

id like to get it down more than 75mm so i think ill try remove some from the top too

now looking at things i think im going to go with a spacer which is basically just a copy of this plate here

which is the same as the starion one posted above, just that the way the stick bolts up to the gearbox is a different pattern (3bolt l200 and 4 bolt starion)

can see the difference between starion and l200 in this pic

and as far as adding length between the pivot and the ball i was goin to cut it where i have put the red line through it, or does this bit need to stay the same distance from the ball?

i thought maybe it clicks the "gate" when you go to 5th, cutting below it would just make it easier to weld
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

ok i got started on this today guys

made up a spacer plate one inch thick and then cut my shifter just above that sqaure peice as i think it is for the gate

i made up an insert also an inch long with spigoted ends and then drilled 1/4 inch holes into the two ends of the stick, this should give it heaps more stregth when i get it welded twomorrow rather than just have two flat ends

i chucked it in my car loosely and it seems to have reduced the shifting distance down to around 70mm
will measure it better when i install it fully

still tossing over wether or not to cut the top shaft down aswell any one have any opinions on this good or bad?
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Congrats on a beautiful piece of engineering. Awesome work.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

that is one nice spacer, great job. Mine were much rougher than that !!
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

That looks good soljah, i think you should be looking at making short shifters for austarion members rather than us having to buy them from the states.

Cutting the top shaft will reduce your throw but then requires more effort to shift the gears, also increases the distance between your steering wheel and gear stick = increases the amount of time you have your hands off the steering wheel. If you look at the old rally cars they actually increase the top shaft to move the gear knob closer to the steering wheel and lengthen the bottom shaft to reduce the throw.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Well if anyone decides to make one in OZ for a Staz, I'll take 2