Do you need a CAS on a DOHC head?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
boosted88
[P] Plates

Do you need a CAS on a DOHC head?

Post by boosted88 »

If I’m using a stand alone ECU on an EVO III DOHC conversion would you still need the CAS, I'm using batched firing not sequential so the crank sensor is all I need to run the ECU, therefore is the CAS needed for anything else? :?
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

what's going to be controlling spark? the CAS tells the factory ECU what piston is at what position to control the injectors firing and the ignition to ignite.

Later model first gen shape RVRs run a sensor off the crank pulley and another sensor off the cam pulley like later model stuff like 6A12, 4G92/3, evo4+ 4G63 etc.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Or do what I did, nissing tooth on the Crank, this signal is also #1 reference so the ECU knows what CLY its on.... thats provided yr ECU can handle sucha a complex function ( He He) :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
boosted88
[P] Plates

Post by boosted88 »

Thanks that's what I thought I'm running a 36-1 trigger wheel right now so I'll stick with that and batched injection and wasted spark 1-3 2-4

Cheers Paul :)
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

boosted88 wrote:Thanks that's what I thought I'm running a 36-1 trigger wheel right now so I'll stick with that and batched injection and wasted spark 1-3 2-4

Cheers Paul :)

Thats fine, that is the same trigger wheel I have. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.