Twincam running temperature ?;

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Ok the big problem with not having a thermostat is that the engine will take longer to warm up to operating temperature leading to additional wear due to the components in the engine not being at their optimum operating temperature. Typically the greatest amount of wear occurs during start up. Also the oil is at a colder temperature then it's best operating range leading to additional wear of bearings and other moving components due to them being improperly lubricated. The oil is too thick to flow properly and your engine is at start up temperature much longer then it needs to be.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

woops wrote:Ok the big problem with not having a thermostat is that the engine will take longer to warm up to operating temperature leading to additional wear due to the components in the engine not being at their optimum operating temperature. Typically the greatest amount of wear occurs during start up. Also the oil is at a colder temperature then it's best operating range leading to additional wear of bearings and other moving components due to them being improperly lubricated. The oil is too thick to flow properly and your engine is at start up temperature much longer then it needs to be.
SPOT ON couldn't have put it better myself :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

I once had an engine that actually ran hotter without a thermostat due to the water flowing too fast through the radiator, & the radiator not able to remove the heat from the water. Slowing down the water flow with a thermostat brought the temperature back to normal. But it was a Ford, so who knows !!! :?
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

what woops and panda said. the thermostat is there to regulate the flow of the water, you can actually have the water flow that fast through the radiator that some of the water molecules straight line it down the tube, not touching the sides, and not absorbing the heat. thats another reason why modern radiator tubes have turbulators inside.

high flow thermostats are for use with larger radiators, as you need to maintain a good speed through the core, just not too fast...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
greenstaz82
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by greenstaz82 »

very interesting posts there , the car is getting its final tune done this week so ill double check with the bloke on what a good running temp would be , its currently sitting in the high 80s at the most 90 . will soon see how is goes after giving it a hard time , might have to get an alloy radiator built
thanks everyone for there line of thought