Did you guys ever get this car?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Did you guys ever get this car?

Post by airbats801 »

I know you have the regular version. I think you call them sigmas or something. The galant 4 door basically fromt he early 80s.

Anyhow, It's the turbo version of the galant?
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Australia got them in abundance as the Sigma. They came with 1600 (4G32) 1850, 2000, 2600 (4G5*) from about 1978-1986. There were other variants like 4G63t with IRS (essentially a 4 door starion) which were never sold from factory in Australia, but possibly in NZ.

The most interesting version of the Sigma in Aus was the GH turbo. Essentially a TO3, external gate with suck trough SU. There were 500odd produced though not many remain today. The exhaust manifolds are a gem of an item (shits all over the 'factory' 2.6 manifolds).
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

interesting. DId the gh have any kind of bodly styling like that turbo one in the picture?
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Bonnet vents (cast aluminium) unique grille and silver over black or red over black paint. No body kits or spoilers though.

We did get a sigma GSR GJ/GH model that had an air dam lip extension and a spoiler on boot lid.

However back in the day there were a few aftermarket kits similar to the one in your photo, but finding one today could prove a challenge.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
turbosigma
[L] Plates

Post by turbosigma »

airbats801 wrote:interesting. DId the gh have any kind of bodly styling like that turbo one in the picture?
The GSRs have a similar rear lip - the front spoilers are a bit different - finding a good one is a challenge.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

The turbo Galant sedan that you posted (with the 4G63 turbo) was only sold in the Japanese and European markets as the Galant Σ or Eterna Σ (Σ being the Sigma symbol) in Japan and just as the 'Galant' in Europe. The styling of that one you posted is unique to the European spec models, the Jap models had different styling.

They were called just the Sigma in Australia and New Zealand (while earlier 77-80 shape was called a Galant-Sigma), but the Australian spec models didn't have the 4G63 turbo or IRS rear ends, while the NZ-spec ones had 4G63s (but not turbo) and no IRS. The automatic jap spec turbo sedans had live axle as well for some strange reason.

My Eterna Λ (Λ being symbol for Lambda) is just the coupe version of that 4th generation Galant shape. It's the platform the Starion was built apon.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

had one as my first car......
Shouldnt have sold it. :(

GH Sigma in blue over black Turbo scheme, 4G64 with twin cam head, decent sized turbo, Manualised auto, Hilux diff........ One day :drool:
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

How rare is that particular uk model wnad what year where they around? What kind of price do they fetch.

Wheels are turning in my head :D I may have most of the year planned out for work on some steamers. Long hours and lots o money :)
80's Hero
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

dirtygalant wrote:live axle
that term makes it sound so high tech to someone who doesn't know what it is...... :x
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

k I'll rephrase that - barbaric old tech axle which is not of the IRS setup :P

The Galant turbo sedan was available from 1982 until 1985 in the European market, and from 1980 until 1985 in the Japanese market.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

dirtygalant wrote:k I'll rephrase that - barbaric old tech axle which is not of the IRS setup :P
lol

i was speaking to a friend of mine recently about how the new mustang still has a live rear axle.. and he went "wow, really? that's pretty cool".. nd i was like :wtf:

he owns an R33 skyline and is a self-confessed car nut, so i thought he'd know what it was..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

I'm starting to put ym import list together for cars I want to get that i can legally get. So far, lancer ex1800 or 2k turbo, and that galant turbo :). Oh, cant forget the la lancer and old fto which is probably a pipe dream.

Work is starting to look real nice. Looks like I may have teh rest of the year booked on steam turbines.
80's Hero
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Haha... going to steal my galant from me eh...

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!