tdo5 VR4 turbzzz to fit Starion?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
evogalant
I like starions

Post by evogalant »

Just to add to you little list there SpidersWeb:

TD04's also came on automatic RVR's (td05 on the manual not sure what size though)

TD05-12 also came on 2l dash cordia engines (i put one of these on my old cordia which i brought of a guy who got it off an 2l dash cordia engine he imported)

Just a question. Does anyone know if there were different sizes of TD04's?

Ohhh and just to help turbzzz a bit, just putting that td05 on my old cordia ended up being a pain in the ass. Im glad i ended up paying someone to do it. Unless your replacing a turbo with the exact same turbo its never going to be a "direct bolt on"
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

i want that TD025!!! well maybe 5 of the little suckers! :wtf:
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

TD04 came with 13B,14B, and 14G wheels. You can also bore them to fit a 16G wheel, but given their size, I imagine efficency would be a bit crap.

Yeah TD025 is sooo cute. TD07 is from trucks, TD08 from big trucks.

T67 is my favourite in that list, TD06 turbine (so you can spool it easily) with a huge TD07 compressor side (so it efficently blows heaps of boost).
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Td06 turbine housing is pretty big man, its not going to be "easy" to spool... i'd say a TD05/06 combo would be the best bet... but just a td05h big 16g from an evo is the ideal turbo for the starion in my opinion :)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

By easy I mean you can actually spool it without having to wait until like 3rd gear :) eheh

TD05H-16G or a TD05-12/16G hybrid are best bets for a SOHC Starion, I always compare things to 'drag racing use' which Starion's weren't really intended for anyway :)

To take advantage of a T67, I'd imagine you'd be revving out to 8250rpm, and running a ported/polsihed and heavily modified DOHC setup. Just a guess.
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

evo3 16g is on par with the best flowing garret T3s. Great turbo!
Some users have recorded 40-44 lbs/min flow on dataloggers.
Quickest way to get the evo3 on a starion is to have a turbo builder machine out the staz turbine housing to accept the 16g center. Clock the compressor to suit and rig the wastegate bracket. You may need to port the wastegate passage to control boost creep IF you run 3" exhst.

If u wanna take it a step further, many have proven that clipped 05 wheels perform great also, especially behind 18G, 19C and even 20G.
http://www.turbochargers.com/ and http://www.slowboyracing.com/ in usa puts garret T3 compressor covers on the mitsu wheels.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Best thing is you can pick up a big-16G for less than 1G rebuilt.

Another quick'n easy upgrade, TD05-12 exhaust wheel/housing bolts up to your existing Starion setup, and the 16G housing bolts on to the other side. I felt the TD05-12 would be an easier match than a TC, havent tried it yet though. Also my TD05-12 came with a ported and polished wastegate pipe.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

SpidersWeb wrote: To take advantage of a T67, I'd imagine you'd be revving out to 8250rpm, and running a ported/polsihed and heavily modified DOHC setup. Just a guess.
Hell yeah man, your on! :)
evogalant
I like starions

Post by evogalant »

got to see my turbo up close today since the engine is out of the car and on an engine hoist.

It says TD04HL, anyone know what the HL means and if it means the size?
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

I far as I can tell the TD05 and TC06 exhaust wheel and shaft are the same. Can someone measure this for me? Also the exhaust housings look the same but perhaps the internal volume is different?
Can anybody give me some solid info on this please rather than "he said" or "they said".
Just trying to establish a few things before spending some money. :roll:
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

evogalant, What are the letters/numbers after the TD04HL?

The TD04HL has a bigger exhaust wheel than a TD04. Also, they are normally off SAAB's and Volvo's :D
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

NXTIME wrote:evogalant, What are the letters/numbers after the TD04HL?

The TD04HL has a bigger exhaust wheel than a TD04. Also, they are normally off SAAB's and Volvo's :D
that would explain how it gets up and boogies for such a lil sucker!

i'm a bit confused now, i've got the TC06 with 05 ass, and it sounds like he's got the TD04 with 05 ass... his spools quicker AND feels like its boosting harder then mine in higher revs at the same PSI... and mines brand new... argh

time for a drag mr galant, next wed be AIR drags already!
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

The B and G wheels found in TD turbos, are much more efficent than the A wheels found in your average TC turbo. Bigger the letter, the better the wheel design.

This could explain the difference.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Yep, and the Saab/volvo turbos have "T" series compressor wheels such as 12T, 13T, 14T and 18T, which are bigger and more efficient. Alot of the V6 DSM cars (such as 3000GT's and Stealths) in the USA use these turbos as upgrades for their stock TD04-09B's.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

what year of saab? ive seena few old saab turbo's, they were all Garrett/AIR Research T3 variants.?