tdo5 VR4 turbzzz to fit Starion?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
turbzzz
Lil' Dorifto

tdo5 VR4 turbzzz to fit Starion?

Post by turbzzz »

Can a TD05 standard turbo from a VR4 sit a Starion? And would anyone know if a T3 Garret turbo would fit a VR4?

Wayne
________
Honda F20C Engine
Last edited by turbzzz on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

A T3 will not fit (bolt on) to the Starion or VR4 exhaust manifold without an adaptor plate. However, there are a number of US companies that have brand new Garrett turbos that have a custom made Mitsubishi rear exhaust housing mated to the Garrett turbos that will bolt straight onto the Mitsubishi manifolds, hence eliminating the need for adaptor plates and custom manifolds.

The TD05 off a VR4 (or other) will bolt onto the Starion exhaust manifold. You will more than likely have to mod your exhaust dump pipe though - not 100% on that.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
turbzzz
Lil' Dorifto

hmmmm

Post by turbzzz »

Wlel my mate's Stariom(the one I'm referring to) has a hi flowed T3 bolted on, with adaptor plate, would this be the same plate required to adapt to a VR4 head? Or would I need yet another plate?

Cheers

Wayne
________
Motorcycle Tires
Last edited by turbzzz on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

assuming that the adaptor plate places the T3 in the correct spot to allow clearance and everything else to fit, then it can be used on the Starion, yes. Best bet it is take some measurements otherwise, a dummy fit will be of more benefit.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
turbzzz
Lil' Dorifto

hmmmmm

Post by turbzzz »

[assuming that the adaptor plate places the T3 in the correct spot to allow clearance and everything else to fit, then it can be used on the Starion, yes. Best bet it is take some measurements otherwise, a dummy fit will be of more benefit.]

You mean with the correct clearance it will bolt onto the VR4 head? Cos it's already on the Starion, cheers.

Wayne
________
Hawaii Marijuana Dispensaries
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

yes.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
turbzzz
Lil' Dorifto

hmm

Post by turbzzz »

Would u say a Td05(not sure which wheel) from a jap spec Vr4 would be more powerful then a T3 from a VL Commodore?

Cheers

Wayne
________
Pre-Paid Legal Services Dicussion
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

That may be hard to say since the TD05 came in different wheel combinations. Also, the VL T3 is to suit an 6 cylinder. What is the number (plus letter) on the compressor housing: TD05 12A? 14B? 16G? Even better would be the set of numbers cast on the compressor cover, similar to 49178-XXXXX?

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

well ive got a vr4 td05 bolted on my car at the moment, it doesnt quite bolt onto the starion manifold, the bolt holes are in the right place but the vr4 turbo has threaded holes in the flange, while the studs on the starion manifold are also threaded so i had to drill out the holes in the bottom of the turbo to fit the threaded manifold studs.

one of the holes in the turbo flange (to the manifold) is also closed up so theres no way to put the nut on the end of the manifold stud, so i had to remove the stud from the manifold with a monkey wrench, and use a bolt instead, threaded up into the turbo.

THEN, i had to change the direction of the compressor outlet so that it faces in the right way, which now means that the wastegate does not line up with the actuator bracket points anymore, which is going to require a new curved bracket to relocate the actuator, which in turn has got in the way of the inlet pipe, resulting in a new set of brackets off the actuator and a shortened wastegate arm.

which finally leaves us with the problem of the dump pipe, which you can't use a vr4 one of course because its upside down and points towards the bonnet. i intend to use the vr4 dumppipe flange as a template to make a starion one facing in the other direction.

but youll be pleased to know that all the oil and water feed lines bolt straight up, and the turbo inlet diameter is the same. but youll want the spaghetti elbow outlet off the compressor wheel to attatch to your intercooler piping.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

*butts in :D *

i have a 'TD05H' '4917-01400'

the underline is hand stamped

what is it? crap?
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

TD05H=EVO turbo, nothing wrong with that.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

mmmmmmm EVO.
so where does that si with the 12a, 16g and so on.....

is there a chart for these things?
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Ok in order of approximate performance

TD04 (1600/1800cc Lancer GSR)
TC05-12A (some Starions)
TC06-11A (other Starions)
TD05-12 (Sigma GSR-X)
TD05-14B (Automatic Galant VR4 4G63BT)
TD05H-16G (Manual VR4, EVO1)
TD05H-16G larger housing - Manual VR4 RS option, EVO3 (maybe EVO2)

Here is some pretty pictures:

TD05H-16G is recommended for street/mild race usage, will run happily up to 18psi and spool quickly. From there its an 18G wheel or a TD06 compressor housing (which bolts on) and 18/20/22/25 wheel etc.

I will go find some turbo comparison charts, give me something to do for 30 minutes.
Last edited by SpidersWeb on Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Those are GReddy modified MHI turbos btw.
Greddy also makes hybrid turbo, T67 is TD07 compressor and TD06 turbine, same turbo as TD06SH-25G. T78 is the compressor of TD08 and turbine of TD07, T88 uses compressor and turbine from TD08.
T67 would be niiiice

That TD08 turbo is still for sale here in NZ, guy wants ~$1000 open to offers. The smaller TD06 exhaust housing is required if you want the car to actually be able to spool the turbo though :) Would make some insane power.

Found a link, all the info you need about turbos, flow rates, graphs the works: http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

stariontron,
some pics please!