MPI using standard ECU

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
panda
Enthusiast

MPI using standard ECU

Post by panda »

About a year ago, some guy in the US was selling on eBay a CD of instructions on how to convert the original ECU to drive MPI. It was intended for the 2.6 motor, not the 2.0 that we have here. I haven't seen it advertised for quite some time.
Q1. Has anyone successfully tried to mod their 2.0 ECU for MPI ?
Q2. Has anyone got this CD that I could borrow & read (or where can I buy one)
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
4gpwr
I love starions

Post by 4gpwr »

Crazy idea , good luck and why would you .
Last edited by 4gpwr on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4Gs Rule
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

There's a guy that used to be on here, live in NZ somewhere and he had MPI running successfully with the factory ECU and it had run fine for over a year....
It is possible, try searching and see what you can find.
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Username is edge, who did it successfully. If you combine it with the use of an safc then you could use larger injectors and have some ability to fine tune it.

A couple of issues you will come across will be, getting the right impedence injectors, not sure if starion ones are high or low impedence, if they are low then its not an issue what type you use for the mpi, but if they are high impendence on the stock starion and you want to use low impedence injectors in the mpi setup you need to run resistors to not overload the injector drivers on the ecu.

Other issue is you wont have much control over ign timing as its mechanical advance/retard.

4g - As to why, its a cheap way to convert to mpi, plus if you have latter model ecu you dont have to worry about tuning in close loop, the car will run properly when you turn on your air-con.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

plus you get to keep the knock sensors working with the stock ecu.. i've been told aftermarket ecus aren't usually tuned to advance/retard timing based on knock sensor output.. is this true? (i'm still a complete noob)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Re: MPI using standard ECU

Post by redzone »

panda wrote:About a year ago, some guy in the US was selling on eBay a CD of instructions on how to convert the original ECU to drive MPI. It was intended for the 2.6 motor, not the 2.0 that we have here. I haven't seen it advertised for quite some time.
Q1. Has anyone successfully tried to mod their 2.0 ECU for MPI ?
Q2. Has anyone got this CD that I could borrow & read (or where can I buy one)
if u look on starquestclub.com you will soon find plenty of threads about this. basically dont bother. the amount of money you'll spend trying to make it work, you could buy a good ecu. a mate just spent $1100 trying to fit a camira injection system to his gemini, he could have bought a stinger for that much...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

After having successfully converted my 2.6 Sigma to MPI, I thought I'd try the same with my JA Staz.
The Siggy is fitted with a Magna M6 head, a modified TS Magna inlet manifold (to relocate the stock TS throttle body), TS dizzy with hall effect triggers, all controlled by a Haltech E6H ECU running in MAP sensing mode.
I guess the simple way for the Staz MPI is to use the L300 inlet manifold that I have, & use my Haltech ECU again, with different mapping. If I did this, what dizzy do I use ?
Also is the standard 50mm L300 TB big enough, or should I go bigger. I'm not looking for huge horsepower, just more.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

"edge" posted solid details on how he got oe 2L ecu to work as mpi.
Makes alot of sense actually... especially coupled with a $300 fuel-tuning piggyback.
I'm going to try the same thing with a SAFC or GM MAFT... solely for kicks.

Considering the stock ignition curve is "tweakable" and heavy starquests have gone 11s via fuel-only tuning, should prove to be a very effective low dollar system.

If properly planned, thinking out of the box can yield great rewards.
I know of a nissan 2.4L dohc 240sx that runs "cheap" 1st gen mitsu 4g63 electronics by adapting the CAS to his 2.4 distributor. Tunes the chipped stock mitsu ecu via laptop.
That 5spd street car runs 10.3sec ETs, without nitros.
Results are often a reflection of ones' understanding what they're doing, moreso than limitations of the equipment
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

panda wrote:After having successfully converted my 2.6 Sigma to MPI, I thought I'd try the same with my JA Staz.
The Siggy is fitted with a Magna M6 head, a modified TS Magna inlet manifold (to relocate the stock TS throttle body), TS dizzy with hall effect triggers, all controlled by a Haltech E6H ECU running in MAP sensing mode.
I guess the simple way for the Staz MPI is to use the L300 inlet manifold that I have, & use my Haltech ECU again, with different mapping. If I did this, what dizzy do I use ?
Also is the standard 50mm L300 TB big enough, or should I go bigger. I'm not looking for huge horsepower, just more.
use a hyundai sonata or HG galant sohc type distributor, they're optical, and cheap.

and chop off the stock shitty plenum and make a barrel type one. relocate the throttle body to the front of the plenum for easy and short intercooler piping. the stock plenum is a real power killer... use a 60mm commodore or falcon throttle body.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Yeh just out of pure curiosity I got that CD too, some interesting stuff, but I don't think i'd ever try it. I was more just curious to see what he was on about.

It does look like it would work, but as some of the others were saying, it wouldn't give you some of the control that an aftermarked would, but it also has it's advantages.

If anyone wanted more info on it I can probably post it up here (if I can find the CD still)?
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I should add that in australia we are spoilt for choice when it comes to aftermarket ecus so unless you know your way around electronics it ends up cheaper to go the aftermarket ecu route.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
4gpwr
I love starions

Post by 4gpwr »

and chop off the stock shitty plenum and make a barrel type one. relocate the throttle body to the front of the plenum for easy and short intercooler piping. the stock plenum is a real power killer... use a 60mm commodore or falcon throttle body.
Have you done a back to back test on a dyno with diffrent plenums Mr Redzone
4Gs Rule
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

not back to back, just experience. cars i've done and seen MPI'd with the triangle plenum make fk all power, even with a bigger throttle body. and one of them was using a turbo that was previously fitted to a car with a barrel plenum'd L300 manifold that made WAY more power..

4gpwr
I love starions

redzone

Post by 4gpwr »

L300 manifolds split into two bits , do you prefer to make a longer or shorter intake runners , anyhow I've made all the parts for a alloy intake manifold plenum for a rwd dohc 4g with intake runners that are straight I haven't decided on the length , and thought to compare that to the relocated throttle bodied original manifold .
4Gs Rule
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

havnt done a short one yet, just did it from the position of the original plenum...