Strong Gearbox

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Read an article a few years back about Juan Pablo Montoya - he was saying he learnt more in a sponsors promo day at Silverstone than in his years racing before that. How?

He and Jackie Stewart were doing sponsor rides in road cars and he (Montoya) was flat shifting and late braking everywhere. For all he tried he couldnt get close to Stewart's times in identical cars. He then went for a few laps as passenger with Stewart and observed he was slow changing up and down and using the clutch on each occasion. Stewart was easy on the throttle and squeezed on the brake. Result, the car was more settled and balanced and Stewart was able to let the car flow and carry greater speed to the point he was 1-2 seconds a lap faster than Montoya. Montoya went out then and copied Stewarts technique and matched his times.

Stewart was a 3 time world champion and Montoya gave up. Lesson - be smooth and let the car flow and watch the times tumble.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i see my cars as living beings.. call me nuts.. but i talk to them.. like they were my living breathing friends.. i even say 'sorry' when i do something stupid like miss a shift and crunch the gearbox..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i see my cars as living things too. i swear at them regularly.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

HAHAHA I do both rofl
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i never swear at them or evcen think bad thoughts about them.. haha

the way i see it, the weakest link is the flesh behind the stearing wheel.. so i try to ensure the machine isn't swearing at me :wtf:
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
4gpwr
I love starions

car

Post by 4gpwr »

I always talk nice to cars , so they dont bite me , and to do what I want.
4Gs Rule
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Well my car is called the "bastard car from hell" for very good reasons LOL
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i prefer to keep mine on a tight leash. i havnt had to swear at the widey much though *touch wood*
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yeah I have been the same. Widy's seems to be a little better. All my straight body's have been jinxed. But my widebody has only had issues caused by dodgy people doing work to her. Hence why I do most of my own work now.
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

WANTSOM wrote:Read an article a few years back about Juan Pablo Montoya - he was saying he learnt more in a sponsors promo day at Silverstone than in his years racing before that. How?

He and Jackie Stewart were doing sponsor rides in road cars and he (Montoya) was flat shifting and late braking everywhere. For all he tried he couldnt get close to Stewart's times in identical cars. He then went for a few laps as passenger with Stewart and observed he was slow changing up and down and using the clutch on each occasion. Stewart was easy on the throttle and squeezed on the brake. Result, the car was more settled and balanced and Stewart was able to let the car flow and carry greater speed to the point he was 1-2 seconds a lap faster than Montoya. Montoya went out then and copied Stewarts technique and matched his times.

Stewart was a 3 time world champion and Montoya gave up. Lesson - be smooth and let the car flow and watch the times tumble.
Funny that, I can remember some old bloke teaching me the same thing ;)
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

hahaha yeah I was taught that too. But that was from my dad. :beer Never heard that story. Thanks, was very useful.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

you granny shifters.. you should be double clutching instead!! rofl
quest wrote:
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:you granny shifters.. you should be double clutching instead!! rofl
I'm one of them & i double de clutch while heel & toeing CAN YOU ???????????? :)
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

nope.. i can't even heel toe all that well..

(for the record oldie.. it was a joke.. recounting vin deisel's stupid line from fast and the furious...)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Then go and practice, if nothing else it will save your gearbox. :)

Two methods for heel and toe - first is ball of foot on brake then twist foot around until heel hits accelerator then blip on the change as you are about through neutral going into the lower gear, then let clutch back out smoothly. Engine speed and road speed need to be matched. Thats the purpose of heel and toe.

Second method same as above but roll ankle so edge of foot goes over onto edge of accelerator. If you want to see it watch some in-car of V8Supercars. The racing's crap but just do it to watch Tander or Ingall (or whoever has camera in car) for foot shots to give you an idea. Tander swings heel over whilst Ingall rolls ankle. Both are OK.

Double declutching is the same except you declutch thorough neutral then clutch into the lower gear. It will keep you busy. The guys that can master it are fascinating to watch. (Go Oldie :D )

For the record I am hopeless at double declutching but religiously heel and toe.

Remember brake first then change back with a blip. :beer