Here's another - What's the hardest nut or bolt to undo

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Here's another - What's the hardest nut or bolt to undo

Post by Darkelf »

I reckon top bolt on the starter motor, what do others think?
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I recon a 20 year old fuel filter nut at the top is very hard to get undone if never changed. I went through that recently. I bent the brackets before the bolt moved. I had to take it off, and hold it by hand to eventually get it going.

But I am sure I have found harder before, just can't remember them at the moment.

BUT if you mean hardest to get to in general, there are HEAPS on the Starion. One of which being the starter motor one
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

OH got another one.

Now you bloody have me thinking...

The hardest one I have ever had to undo would have to be the speaker bolts for the rear and front dash of the car. You have to take out so much CRAP to get to them to properly replace the speakers. Now thats hard.
MainstreaM
I've been here before

Post by MainstreaM »

turbo mounting bolts on the 2.6 manifold. You can get a box end wrench on one of them and only turn it about an 1/8th of a turn. Ratcheting wrenchs are a must. That same nut has to come off last as well, you have to wedge the turbo up as you loosen or it will hit the exhaust housing and get stuck.

Kane
Land Rocket
Big Dorifto

Post by Land Rocket »

WidebodyWoody wrote:I recon a 20 year old fuel filter nut at the top is very hard to get undone if never changed. I went through that recently. I bent the brackets before the bolt moved. I had to take it off, and hold it by hand to eventually get it going.
Yep, I had my filter turn on me, and I destroyed the lower hose.
I had to loosen the hose from the metal line coming from the tank,
and take it out with the filter.

And on the opposite end of this discussion,
my X-wife was the loosest nut I have ever dealt with.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

HAHAHA yeah I think all women have a nut loose here and there rofl

Yeah turbo bolts are a bitch on the 2.6 Its worse on my old Custom manifold. Its better on the new one luke made for me, but the old one was shocking. All 4 were impossible. But I put that down to a dodgy company making mine.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

fuel filter one is good. transmission bolts arent too bad. I really hate the knock sensor on a g54bt.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Neither a nut or bolt, but the screws that hold down the tophat of the early style injection system are easy enough to round.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

I reckon it's the bolt in the coolant drain hole in the exhaust manifold side of the block. That one generally becomes a permanent part of the block :wink:
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Nut on the clutch pedal rod.
Nuts on exhaust downpipe.
I injured myself trying to undo a lower arm bolt on a Vauxhall Astra (Holden to you). Was unbelievably tight throughout, and it's a 3 inch thread! Was bedbound for two days.
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Land Rocket wrote:
WidebodyWoody wrote:I recon a 20 year old fuel filter nut at the top is very hard to get undone if never changed. I went through that recently. I bent the brackets before the bolt moved. I had to take it off, and hold it by hand to eventually get it going.
Yep, I had my filter turn on me, and I destroyed the lower hose.
I had to loosen the hose from the metal line coming from the tank,
and take it out with the filter.

And on the opposite end of this discussion,
my X-wife was the loosest nut I have ever dealt with.
LOL you're not alone there!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Junkers wrote:Neither a nut or bolt, but the screws that hold down the tophat of the early style injection system are easy enough to round.
x2

Those bloody things are near impossible to remove. Hence replacing all mine with allen key ones...once I got the bastards out
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Alspos wrote:
Junkers wrote:Neither a nut or bolt, but the screws that hold down the tophat of the early style injection system are easy enough to round.
x2

Those bloody things are near impossible to remove. Hence replacing all mine with allen key ones...once I got the bastards out
Easy enough to remove with an impact driver - but you can't use them again :wink:
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

inner lower guard bolts on a hr -hd holden , most people never put them back ....

also a rusted worn xb falcon front bar bolts to chassis ...

sorry its not mitso stuff
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I have heard that the BA falcon v8 engine is basically removed to change the spark plugs? or it may have been the previous model
Last edited by groupAralliart on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.