Clutch problems - after bleeding, clutch won't disengage

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Station
I like starions more

Clutch problems - after bleeding, clutch won't disengage

Post by Station »

Following putting the engine back in, and getting it all connected back up with the gearbox, and then getting it running etc etc, I tried to bleed the clutch. Here's how it goes.

There is no pressure when pressing the pedal down. It just clunks down, because the spring is 'activating', and taking it to the floor. After following bleeding instructions, and making sure there is no air bubbles etc etc etc etc, I am getting identical problems, with about 2 cm of pressure in the pedal. It still sinks to the floor, and still has the 'sprung' mechanism in there. It is not pushing the piston on the slave cylinder far enough to disengage the clutch 'fork'.

Any ideas? I've bought a new slave cylinder, but it is exactly the same as the old one. Have I put the release/thrust bearing in incorrectly? I checked, and it was intact and as it should be, so I can't see that being a problem? The car is working now, but I just can't get this sorted.
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
shift1313
Big Dorifto

Post by shift1313 »

the arm your slave cylinder pushes on has a ball that is snaps onto inside the bell housing. If its not on there you will still get a little pedal action but there is no hydraulic pressure because instead of the arm pivoting on that point it moves around. pull the rubber boot off of that arm and have a peek. you can most likely pop it back on with the extra play the arm has with the retainer/throw out bearing.

this is assuming is close to the same as our us 2.6l tranny
84 Starion ES
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Using new fork/arm, it is definately a problem with the clutch pedal/cylinders. I've been told to bleed the master cylinder? I have only bled the slave cylinder?
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
shift1313
Big Dorifto

Post by shift1313 »

I think the only way to bleed is from the slave. I bled mine by putting a vac on the bleed line on the slave. Did you replace any of the lines/fittings anywhere that could be sucking air? can you have someone press the pedal and you watch the slave.
84 Starion ES
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Yeah, tried that. Someone on Starquest forum said I have to bleed the master cylinder by sucking air out of the resevoir???
Don't know what to do now.
shift1313
Big Dorifto

Post by shift1313 »

thats odd ive never heard of that before. ill check my factory service manual today and see how they recommend bleeding the clutch.
84 Starion ES
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

You ususally bleed the master out of the car, but you can remove the pipe and use your finger to cover the hole when the pedal is coming up.

Also try the old British car way by shutting the bleeder after every pump.

With every thing closed pump the pedal heaps, sometimes it gives you a slight pedal and you will know the master needs a seal.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
Land Rocket
Big Dorifto

Post by Land Rocket »

Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

I put the new slave cylinder in (as the old one bound on the housing!), after I took the gearbox out and fixed the forky-thingy, I managed to bleed it in 5 minutes. ;) And it now changes gear!