What do you love about your Staz

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

What do you love about your Staz

Post by Darkelf »

Drove the Hoonmobile to work this morning and was just ruminating (as you do) whilst at a set of traffic lights, how much I love a Starion.

It's lines (not curves :) ), it's head turning ability, all its squeeks n rattles, the rear wheel drive and the thing I love best is the two little cold air vents on each end of the dash. Man they are good I can have warm tootsies and a cool face when I'm driving. You can't get that with an EVO!!!

And yes these cars cause us a lot of pain and money but ultimately we all love em, so guys and girls what do YOU love about YOUR Starion?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I thought you were going to say cos yours is gone!!!!

It's loud. It bounces around over every bump. It's (relatively) simple to fix (some of the bloody time) It's unique. And the wife hates going in it.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

well I'm probably out of place here but what I love about my Eterna is that in 1980, it had all the bells and whistles (literally) like IRS, 4w vented disc brakes, turbochaged fuel injected OHC engine, electric pillarless windows front and rear, air con, even a bloody alarm clock inside!

You definitely didn't see much of this on any other cars being sold in 1980 at the time (especially in NZ where we still had most of our cars coming from Britain and Australia mainly).

As for Starions I absolutely love their styling, it's very typical of Mitsubishi to be one of the better styled cars in their class (in comparison I don't really like the R30/R31 coupes, Series 2 & 3 RX-7s, MA61 Celica Supras, Z31 Fairlady, Isuzu/Holden Piazza).

I would absolutely kill for a Widebody Starion - has to be my favourite Mitsubishi! (with a 1970 GTO MR coming in at a close 2nd, and an E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution in white coming 3rd)
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Well, it all started as I was looking for a project car. And I saw it on the side of the road.

1. Rear wheel drive (with LSD)
2. Coupe
3. Turbocharged
4. Unique/rare

Then there are the other things I learned later about the car
a. 4 wheel disc brakes
b. power windows
c. hydraulic clutch
d. power mirror (at one stage)

Overall, it get looks from people in modified cars and imports... And I know they are wither thinking...
"What the hell is that?" or
"geez a Starion, I havent seen one of those for ages..." :D

Oh and being part of the auStarion forum aint bad either :D
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

if i knew what i loved about it, i would have been able to get over it and get myself something less of a money/time pit..

i love everything about it.. every time my friends tell me i should just sell it and get something newer or less troublesome, i think yeah, they're right.. but then when i go back and look at it, all is forgiven, and i can't let it go..

4g6beat told me "we don't choose the staz.. it chooses us.." and i think i agree haha.. when i was in the market for something 'cool' and quick, a starion popped up.. turbo.. rear drive.. flappy uppy lights.. oh so sweet looking.. i had seen one earlier on top gear, and thought.. that's what i want.. and then one popped up for sale.. but it was in horrid condition.. and the guy was asking too much.. but then the next day (literally) i saw another one.. and it had issues.. but it was MUCH better than the first, and almost the same price.. so now it's mine.. for almost a year and a half..

so i think it knew i was looking for something, so it presented itself well.. good timing.. haha
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

I don't know what it is about Starions to be honest.....
You know when you get a new car and you just want to drive it all the time... well kinda like that for the last 3 years with this car!
Mines been stupidly reliable, never really had a major issue apart from when I rebuilt the motor....
Plus it is kinda cool that people always come up to me and ask what sort of car I have or say "nice starion"
I remember I had finished playing a round of golf and was heading out to the car park and this was this old drunk guy standing by my car, started to load the golf stuff into the car and he asked if this was my car to which i replied yes. He then said that he's never seen a car that looks so good in all his life and that he had been waiting in the car park for the last half hour to tell me LOL Meh to the fact that he was drunk.. lol
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Alspos wrote:I thought you were going to say cos yours is gone!!!!

It's loud. It bounces around over every bump. It's (relatively) simple to fix (some of the bloody time) It's unique. And the wife hates going in it.
So true on the wife thing!!!!!!!

I just love the lines, my widey wheels :) and just the fact that its not an evo or a wrx since everyone has one of them these days.
Fixing it all the time is just a bonus as gets me plenty of time in the shed :)
And the fact the wife hates both of them :)
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

My wife doesnt like the starion either, thinks it like a matchbox car having straight lines like it does, but at least she understands its a hobby and doesnt get in the way of it.

I think part of the appeal is growing up in the 80's and being influenced by cars of that era. Starions oozes 80's charm with its pop up headlights and shape. Then theres noise that the 4G63 makes both in the exhaust note and the sound of the engine itself, its neither rough or refined. Then theres the fact that is a turbo rwd car that is rare. Part of the attachment is you work on them so much, partly to modify them partly to fix them when something goes wrong, the reward really is in driving the car.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

LONG LIVE THE 80'S WEDGE !!

nothing new or old even comes close
thats is all :D
4gpwr
I love starions

starion

Post by 4gpwr »

I love not being noticed until I the wastegate opens and I pass them .
4Gs Rule
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

it was always the interior that got me... when all my mates were driving round in mk5 cortinas or RX3s and other dodgy stuff i had my first starion, and it was just awesome in comparison, the interioir was sporty and luxurious at the same time... everyone used to ask where i got my race buckets from... i guess compared to a cortina seat they do look like a race seat...
certainly wasnt much around at the time that compared.
the digital dash, or dumb asian chick that kept warbling at me when i opened the door with the key in the ignition...

and the woman thing,.... every single one of my ex's, and my missus now all hated starions. :D just meant they didnt get to drive it.
oz, here i come....
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Alspos wrote:I thought you were going to say cos yours is gone!!!!

I liked how the gauges always worked.
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

my missus actually wants me to hurry up and fix the old girl up so she can drive its wheels off :wtf:
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

o guys and girls what do YOU love about YOUR Starion?
the bit between the centre consol next to the gear stick and passenger seat that perfectly fits bottle of water, powerade etc....
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Defective wrote:and the woman thing,.... every single one of my ex's, and my missus now all hated starions. :D just meant they didnt get to drive it.
half ya luck, I have to fight to get a drive in the Hoonmobile! :)