Tonight I started to remove my engine

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Station
I like starions more

Tonight I started to remove my engine

Post by Station »

As I'll be getting a new engine this weekend (if all goes to plan), I started removing the ancilliaries tonight, to make it easier to get out.
I've got the inlet manifold and compressor for the air con off, the right hand side is bare now, and is 1/3 of it's original size less! Should I need to take the exhaust manifold off, or will it be okay with it on. Looks like an easy in-out job tbh. Should I support the gearbox, or is it mounted securely?
:beer
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

If your taking just the motor out you should put something at the front of the gearbox to hold it up like some chocks of wood as only the rear gearbox crossmember and tail shaft will be holding it in place.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Just to add to this question, if you take the engine and chock up the gearbox, how do you transport the car? Can you secure the box in place in anyway?

Also Station, you will need to atleast remove the Dump pipe when removing it. I don't think you need to take out the ex mani, but it would probably make your life easier.
4gpwr
I love starions

eng

Post by 4gpwr »

I would use a car stand to hold the gearbox up , just make sure it dosn't foul on the steering when you turn the wheels .
4Gs Rule
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

WidebodyWoody wrote:Just to add to this question, if you take the engine and chock up the gearbox, how do you transport the car? Can you secure the box in place in anyway?
I put a timber rake handle across the two front guards and looped a rope under the front of the gearbox to support it. It flexed a fair bit but it did the job.
1985 JB Starion #157
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

TOMSUN wrote:
WidebodyWoody wrote:Just to add to this question, if you take the engine and chock up the gearbox, how do you transport the car? Can you secure the box in place in anyway?
I put a timber rake handle across the two front guards and looped a rope under the front of the gearbox to support it. It flexed a fair bit but it did the job.
And what about the dents you leave in the top of the guard? :?

Perhaps some metal strapping and attach to the firewall using existing bolt holes?
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Show Link : http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/4wsrebuild_019.jpg

I just use welding wire (or no 8 fencing wire) to hold the box.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

kiwieurospec wrote: Image

I just use welding wire (or no 8 fencing wire) to hold the box.
Too easy.....
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

After looking at that pic i was thinking why is the steeringbox box different and what is that big canister..

Then I realized it was a pic of a 4WS starion..

Anyway i also notice the brake master cylinder is connected horizontally to the booster as compared to vertically on my LHD starion..

Makes you wonder why Mitsubishi went trough the trouble to change that because apart from the reservoir it looks identical.
And on my LHD chassis there are also bolt holes on the right side that would allow for the remote reservoir to be bolted to.
I would not be surprised if you could actually interchange the 2 if you replace it as a whole.(brake booster,master & reservoirs)
-------------------------------------------
83 2000EX runner.
88 2.0 Black Widebody DOHC evo 6 turbo at 1.7 bar
88 2.6 White Widebody. spun a bearing.
06 2.0 Lancer Wagon. daily driver.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Alspos wrote: And what about the dents you leave in the top of the guard? :?

Perhaps some metal strapping and attach to the firewall using existing bolt holes?
My rake at work in this pic... (with blankets protecting the guards)

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... light=rake
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

the gearbox isn't bolted to the engine?? :wtf:

sorry for the noob questions.. but is that the way it is with most cars?? i was always under the impression that boxes are securely bolted to engine..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

thrash wrote:the gearbox isn't bolted to the engine?? :wtf:

sorry for the noob questions.. but is that the way it is with most cars?? i was always under the impression that boxes are securely bolted to engine..
Yep, but what happens when you take the motor out? Well... The gearbox will hang down and nearly touch the ground. Once the motor is out, the gearbox is really only held by the rear gearbox mount and tailshaft.
1985 JB Starion #157
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

So far I haven't had to get under the car, which is nice, but I suppose it's a matter of a few bolts. Thanklfully, it had a dodgy replacement last year, so all the bolts are fresh. :)

I will give the bay a respray and clean up everything in there, all mounts with hammerite, etc.

Here's how it was last night:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/stationji ... 9880443442

I will get one side totally bare, just to make it easier, though I suppose it would have been better to make the exhaust side bare. Never mind. :wtf:
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

TOMSUN wrote:
thrash wrote:the gearbox isn't bolted to the engine?? :wtf:

Yep, but what happens when you take the motor out? Well... The gearbox will hang down and nearly touch the ground. Once the motor is out, the gearbox is really only held by the rear gearbox mount and tailshaft.
ahh haha what a retard i am..

so its harder to take the motor and gearbox out together?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Yeah, gearbox is under the car pointing towards the back. If you took both out, you'd have to angle it so both could come out at the same time = a pain in the arse!
With FWD engines, the engine is facing the other way round and the gearbox is facing sideways ...
sometimes it's more hassle to leave the box on and actually lift the car up with the engine crane and support/remove the engine and box from the bottom.
The hardest thing about engine removal is undoing rusted bolts. Otherwise, it's a really easy, over-estimated job (due to weight of engine).