EVO 3 engine -> Starion gearbox. ( How to do it )

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Petevostaz
[P] Plater austaz

EVO 3 engine -> Starion gearbox. ( How to do it )

Post by Petevostaz »

1. Machine a boss that fits into the end of the EVO 3 crank where a spigot bush normal is. Machine another hole in the boss the same size as the input shaft of the gearbox.
2. Machine 2 unwanted M10 engine to gearbox bolts down to a tappered point to similar to a centre punch. Cut a slot in the end so it can be screwed into the block with a screwdriver.
3. Weld boss to a small peice of ally sheet as in the foto.
4. Screw 1 of the tappered bolts into 1 of the holes in the engine block ( one which is used to bolt engine to gearbox ) from the front of the engine, so the pointed end points out from the back of the blockhe engine block.
5. Locate boss/sheet of ally in end of crank
6. Use hammer to tap ally sheet against centre punch.
Do this 3 more times for the other 3 holes.
This template is used last of all to overlay gearbox when all welding has been done. Use centre punch threw holes in ally sheet onto the new locations on the face of the gearbox.
Drill holes to suit, 2 dowels and new M10 gearbox to engine CAP screws.
Finally cut and reposition section for started motor using the EVO 3 backplate as the templete.

JOB DONE

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Awesome.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Pete, not trying to be a negative nelly or anything, but looking at the rest of the car its gonna be pretty hardcore, what are you doing about the gearbox strength issues? i assume you'll be pushing some decent horsepower out of this thing?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Petevostaz
[P] Plater austaz

Gearbox issues

Post by Petevostaz »

Got let down in the UK with people that want to keep hold gearboxes etc.. that they will never use, just so they can tell there mates they own one..

Hence why I have done it this way. Wanted to keep everything Mitsubishi.

A close ratio 'Dog' box is hopefully going to go in. A complete gear kit/dog engagement is going to be built into the Starion box. I have talked to several engineering firms in the North West of England who solely cut gears and build boxes for race/rally cars thru to JCB's and dumper trucks etc.. and they are only too willing to help. It will be a complete design from scratch. All synchros will go and hopefully a 'Direct' top 5th. 5th could be 1:1, not overdriven like the standard gear cluster. Not cheap but it should be bomb proof for a couple of seasons.

How much will a standard box take ?
I have never had a Starion before. Had a Lancer EX2000 and that box was OK. The ratios of the Starion don't seem applicable, 1st gear needs to be say 2.3'ish.

This engine will have to run a 34mm turbo restrictor as per the RAC MSA rules. So power will be limited. The rolling road sheet that came with the engine said it pushed out 306 BHP. Yet to hear it running...come to think of it I have never heard it running....ha ha

Pete
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Let us know how much it's going to cost to get the dog box made up, would be interesting to find out. :)
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

There's a local scrappy tome who is selling an EVO 3 engine for 400 quid. I'm also from the North West!
I'm tempted to do this as my engine is giving me total nightmares! Doe the shaft fit okay?
You haven't got any bits from your old engine (ECU, map sensor etc)?
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
Petevostaz
[P] Plater austaz

Shaft ?

Post by Petevostaz »

Station wrote:There's a local scrappy tome who is selling an EVO 3 engine for 400 quid. I'm also from the North West!
I'm tempted to do this as my engine is giving me total nightmares! Doe the shaft fit okay?
You haven't got any bits from your old engine (ECU, map sensor etc)?
What shaft are we talking about ??
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Input shaft from the gearbox to the engine? ;)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
Petevostaz
[P] Plater austaz

Input shaft from the gearbox to the engine

Post by Petevostaz »

Station wrote:Input shaft from the gearbox to the engine? ;)
Need to machine a bush to sit inside the end of the crank. It will probably have a phosher bronze bush or a roller bearing in the end just to support the input shaft.

If you need your gearbox bellhousing done to the same spec, then drop me a line and we can arrange it.

Pete
redzone
racking my brains

Re: Gearbox issues

Post by redzone »

Petevostaz wrote:Got let down in the UK with people that want to keep hold gearboxes etc.. that they will never use, just so they can tell there mates they own one..

Hence why I have done it this way. Wanted to keep everything Mitsubishi.

A close ratio 'Dog' box is hopefully going to go in. A complete gear kit/dog engagement is going to be built into the Starion box. I have talked to several engineering firms in the North West of England who solely cut gears and build boxes for race/rally cars thru to JCB's and dumper trucks etc.. and they are only too willing to help. It will be a complete design from scratch. All synchros will go and hopefully a 'Direct' top 5th. 5th could be 1:1, not overdriven like the standard gear cluster. Not cheap but it should be bomb proof for a couple of seasons.

How much will a standard box take ?
I have never had a Starion before. Had a Lancer EX2000 and that box was OK. The ratios of the Starion don't seem applicable, 1st gear needs to be say 2.3'ish.

This engine will have to run a 34mm turbo restrictor as per the RAC MSA rules. So power will be limited. The rolling road sheet that came with the engine said it pushed out 306 BHP. Yet to hear it running...come to think of it I have never heard it running....ha ha

Pete
nice, i'm glad you're not planning on running a standard box. one thing u might want to be aware of, is apparently these boxes are prone to flex under large torque loading, caused by the gears being too small in diameter, the main and layshafts being closer together than in a typical stronger box. the housing flexes, shafts spread apart, and the gears tear each other to pieces.. dont know if there will be an easy fix for that.

most people running or planning on running big hp starions are using either supra or FC RX7 gearboxes. the FC box is what i prefer, as you can use the bellhousing from a 4G54 powered Mazda B2600 4wd utility to mate it up to the wide pattern starion block..

and most people with starion boxes start to run into probs with around 330hp at the wheels and higher. obviously less than that if out and out abused...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au