WANTED aftermarket ECU

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

will just tune it on the road and probably beach, wont be renting a dyno mate.
4gpwr
I love starions

Post by 4gpwr »

How are you going to do the top end of the maps , every street tune i have seen even by good tuners engs blow up
4Gs Rule
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

so you are going to sit in the passenger seat of an early model pajero wich has the dynamics and comfort of brick .

plug in an ecu and a lap top bounce around at high speeds on public roads , be able to contol a steady hand on a laptop mouse wich on a steady table you strugle to navigate the mouse and tune an ecu , then call that a reliable tune .........................come on................

i tuned my wipper snipper running around the back yard after drinking 23 beers , that sounds silly dosent it , well that about the same thing you are going to attempt .

when something goes wrong at those speeds lets just hope the engine cuts out or goes boom rather than the car hits another car or kills someone .........

rent a DYNO ----- safe , controlled enviroment ,

thank god i dont live near you ......... :glare: :glare: :glare:
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Theres alot of people who tune cars on the road.

If done properly and with 2 people its very safe. Done it before.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

Yeah you can do it. The fuel part is quite easy, but its harder to get an accurate timing map.
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

yep thats what ill be doing.....

should be good on on a smooth beach or freeway.......

come for a drive when its done and be proven wrong
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Road tune (or on a track) can be better than on a dyno as it reflects real driving.

Problems is tuning the high end of the maps where in big Horsepower cars even the biggest hill wont be enough to generate consistant load and speed limits are broken too easily.

But for a quick street car you'll do 90% of it on the road easily. And you won't waste time tuning every single part on the map that the engine. Some parts of the map the engine will never see. Eg Load 20psi and 2000 rpm....

I'll be road tuning my EMS 8860 with my Innovate wideband and home made audiable knock sensor with head phones.
I plan on doing as much as I can and then taking it to JEM - Just Engine Management to do some power runs and confirm a/f ratios and tweek the tune as needed.

Note... On JEM's website they even mention that they themselves do...
"- Dyno Tunes, road tuning, track tuning for any computer:"

******* quote from a honda tuner *******

Road tuning versus Dyno tuning is also very important aspect of tuning you can not simulate 100% road conditions on a Dyno, every tuner has there own methods on tuning a car, typically my methods is ECU installation, followed by parameter set, configuring what settings a car needs, followed by careful overview / testing important engine operation conditions, followed by a slow test drive checking all sensors and making sure the ECU is responding. There are plenty of safety and check lists to ensure correct engine operation is occurring. This initial road tuning is very important because its setting the car up making sure everything is in order before a car is locked and tied down on a dyno.

Dyno tuning of course has its benefits where we can apply any engine load at any rpm point allowing u to accurately view and adjust what the car is doing in real time. One problem with Dynos is heat soak of the engine and extremely low engine loads typical these settings are very hard to tune for on a dyno, as driving a car on low load at low rpm on a Dyno causes the whole car to shake. So whilst a dyno environment can simulate most road conditions its not perfect, this is why I like to take the car once its off the dyno for more road tuning and safety / vehicle check making sure everything is perfect because the car is handed back to the client, and yes during these road tuning settings very often more settings are changed to enhance drive ability and response, you tune for power on a dyno, you tune for drive ability on the road.

1985 JB Starion #157
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

hope you can get a good result. Thats why ill also run it on the beach where it will be able to get to full speed in 3rd or 4th remembering its a pajero with very low gearing. No heatsoak problems either. When i get too far down the beach ill just turn around and head back. There should be no reason why i cant get a reliable tune this way
4G64B
Lil' Dorifto

tune

Post by 4G64B »

Hi Mitch

if you are after a reliable & competent tuner in Newcastle area you cant go past Justin Gregory at BLACKTRACK (formerly RX Engineering)
mitch
I like starions more

Post by mitch »

thanks mate i know who he is, will probably take it to get checked on a dyno
once im finished to be sure