Recommend me an Exhaust

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Lethal
Newcomer

Recommend me an Exhaust

Post by Lethal »

hey all, just after some ideas of what works well and whats just crap :D

is 3 inch over kill for a standard set up {for now} do i need a cannon on its ass :roll:

i did search, but couldnt come up with the info im after

cheers
Had a VL Turbo... some scum wanted it more than i did.... that is so wrong...
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Buy what you can afford and tolerate. Freer flowing the better.

2.5" mandrel bent would be a minimum. 3" (mandrel or press bent) if you plan to upgrade turbo etc later on as you don't have to buy most of it again. Get a flange put in where the dump pipe drops so if you do change later, a dump only can be made and connected to the existing system.

Mild steel will be fine, stainless steel will last longer and can be polished up, but do you wish to pay for it? If you're keeping the car forever, then go for it.

Get two mufflers to keep the noise down...unless of course you want it loud.

Please, please....don't get a 4" or 5" wank tip. You're just spending good money on something that may look pretty, but will do bugger all and atract unwanted attention.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

As Al said go 3 inch from the start with a 3 bolt connector flange joint where the firewall & floor join
My system is in aluminised steel (doesn't rust ) with the dump HPC coated in & out .This helps to keep heat in & lower temps as well as helps it to last longer I have a 3in x300long hot dog under the floor and a Lukey ss race muffler ( PN LR127720 oval 350 long x250 wide ) with a 3.5 in droopy tip
IMHO ANY BIGGER TIPS ARE 4 TOSSERS OR TUGGERS ONLY rofl
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Lethal
Newcomer

Post by Lethal »

thanks alot :D

i was thinking of going 3 inch from the end of the dump {firewall/floor basically - as mentioned} with a muffler, after the diff, with a 4 inch droopy tip...

thoughts?

would this be overly loud?

cheers
Had a VL Turbo... some scum wanted it more than i did.... that is so wrong...
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

I've got a 2.5" on my daily, ('86 GSR-V), and it's a good loud. Good resonance and noise.
I tend to find that 3" can get a bit droning, especially at 100kmh on the freeway. Having said that, my rally car has a 3" system on it, but it's properly loud!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

whether an exhaust drones has a lot to do with the quality of the mufflers. 3 inch is not overkill for ANY turbo motor, daihatsu charade included!!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au