Wiseco support rails

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Bitza
I've been here before

Wiseco support rails

Post by Bitza »

Hi guys,
Have purchase Wiseco pistons for my 4G63 2.3 stroker, the only problem is how do you install the oil support rails into the piston?

The size of the rail is the inner circumference of the oil land, and can't be physically opened up far enough to clear the top of the piston.

The rails are the correct size.........WTF!

Any info is much appreciated.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

u mean the circumferential expander? they have a bit of cured wire poking out one end that goes into a hole in the other end, carefully check the expander for this area and pull it apart.

post pics if u have trouble still....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Have a look at the pics.........you can see the difficulty......even with a ring expander the support rings don't open up far enough.

As you can see from this photo the Rail is the same size as the piston.

If I try to "roll" the ring on, I'll break it.......too much distance to cover, like I said before a ring expander won't do the job......it'll only open the ring an extra 4mm.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

looks like the incorrect size ring to me, can u install the ring in the bore & use a feeler gauge to check the gap for me & post reply.... :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Pm sent.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Ring gap will tell you for sure. You may find the rings are for a 2.0ltr,
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

The support rails are not for the bore..........only to stop the oil rings "falling" into the wrist pin.

Therefore are the same size as the oil land.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Bitza wrote:The support rails are not for the bore..........only to stop the oil rings "falling" into the wrist pin.

Therefore are the same size as the oil land.
Sorry Bitza, thats incorrect, if they fall in the bore then the will not contact the bore walls, therfore not SCRAPING the oil off the cylinder wall & into the oil expander rail then through the piston to be deposited into the sump....

They must have wall tension to work.. if they don't then U have the incorrect rings.... in my 25yrs engine reconditioning I have never seen or herd of a oil ring that doesn't have wall tension etc... :beer

Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

It's not an oil ring........the support ring has to be there due to the land is missing over the gudgeon pin hole.

Once the support ring is in place the oil rings can then be installed.........basically it's a 4 piece oil ring.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Oh now I see, looks like its steel so i think U can expand it enough to fit them. As per pic 2 just keep working the rail around. :beer

Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Are you sure?..................it's gota go a long way.
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

one step at a time my friend!
you probably won't get it to the bottom groove in one go without breaking it, work it down gradually.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
scorpyy
Lil' Dorifto

Post by scorpyy »

Get the right tool for the job, or pay a workshop to do it for you. You need a Piston ring expander, I think they're about $30.

What do the instructions say ? I'm quite certain it says not to use your hands/fingers to expand it, especially when you expanding it on an angle like that as it will most likely twist/be bent permanently.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Received an Email from Wisceo and hand rolled the support rails on.....................they sure do stretch a long way........thanks for all your help.