cheap chinese ebay crap turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

a mate put one on an RB25DET in an R33 (it was a XSPOWER T70) and the power didnt shoot up until 5800rpm. he put a garret GT3076R on it and it came on at 3800 with the .82 ex housing..

funny it was a T70 from a CA18 turbo kit ha fkn ha.... wouldn't have even made boost on a CA..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Just remember the cost of the turbo is only a part of the cost.

Add
Custom exhaust manifold
Custom dump pipe
External wastegate (optional)
New oil lines
New water lines

And you might as well add an intercooler and pipework
boost controller
ECU and tune it

Heck... might as well go multipoint... and a full rebuild with forged internals....... :shock:

That's pretty much what happend to me.... It all started with buying a T3 turbo "CHEAP"

Read this link...
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... bolt+turbo

My recomendation would be to look for the best bolt on option ("true bolt on")... Ask around for the best option. Someone else might be able to shed some like light on the best bolt on option.
Even if it is $1,400 may well be the cheapest option in the long run.

Try http://www.gtpumps.com.au/

I'm not sure what success people have had with High flowing the TC06 units...?
1985 JB Starion #157
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

a favourite idea of mine would be to use a TC05 core and exhaust side, use a T03 intake wheel and machined out TC06 intake housing. all goes together easy as. but doing that would eat up about $1300 all told. but at least it would bolt on, and the TC05 exhaust wheel isnt too big like a TC06, so they're not too laggy.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I've run both a hi-flowed TC06 and currently using one of MRB's TD05 16g's. Both were/are good (the TD05 has the edge for spool by a fair way).

Seriously why would you buy an "unknown quality" turbo when one of our own forum members makes his living supplying quality locally supported product that has been dyno, street and track proven. To me its a no brainer.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

agree wholeheartedly, the TD05Hb16G mark sells is the best value for money upgrade for a starion IMO. KKR430 has same spool and more power potential but added cost due to the need for a manifold to go with it.

jedi
I like starions more

turbos

Post by jedi »

Chinese turbo are copied well but the question is what quality the metals they make them out of. the only problem i have herd about them is the nut on the turbo has come lose. but easy fix it to dot punch the end of the shaft where the nut screw on. and this guy was running 20+ psi around 450hp and he went out and bought one the same and just dot punch it no worries. :naughty
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Sory to say but in my experience the Chineese are selling the rest of the world rubbish...and getting away with it.................for now.
4gpwr
I love starions

turbos

Post by 4gpwr »

You are dead right Flav the last ebay turbo i fitted lasted 10kms before it made noise,the one before lasted 1 lap at sandown the guy got rebuilt so that $300 turbo with external gate cost him a total of $2000.You get what you pay for.
4Gs Rule
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

redzone wrote:a mate put one on an RB25DET in an R33 (it was a XSPOWER T70) and the power didnt shoot up until 5800rpm. he put a garret GT3076R on it and it came on at 3800 with the .82 ex housing..

funny it was a T70 from a CA18 turbo kit ha fkn ha.... wouldn't have even made boost on a CA..
sounds like something was wrong with that particular T-70.

http://www.drdrift.com.au/ is a prominent nissan ecu tuner who has done a bunch of CA18s with T70 turbos, with impressive results.

Another sample from the UK.... XS T70 on bone stock 4-port CA18 @382hp:
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=123
Says the boost hits so dam hard, car goes wild before you can think

A brave soul even runs a T70 @29psi on his 1.6L 20V toyota @550hp flywhl. Last I read he was headed for 35psi. Already no traction at 20 - lol

Yeah, hard to beat a bolt-on mitsu 16 or 18.
Don't know where the stock 2L exhaust manifold starts to 'bottleneck' tho.
quest
I love starions

Re: turbos

Post by quest »

jedi wrote:Chinese turbo are copied well but the question is what quality the metals they make them out of. the only problem i have herd about them is the nut on the turbo has come lose. but easy fix it to dot punch the end of the shaft where the nut screw on. and this guy was running 20+ psi around 450hp and he went out and bought one the same and just dot punch it no worries. :naughty
exactly.... very common problem I've seen with the early XS T70s
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thrash wrote:is it easy to tell if a turbo is balanced or not? how would you tell?

Should it spin freely by hand if pushed to one side? Or would a balanced turbo still get stuck?
... any answers?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

no you personally won't be able to tell.

If it is not balanced propery it will eventually fail.. somehow
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so... how can you tell if someone you've paid to rebuild and balance your turbo has done a decent job or not..?

I suppose if they offer a warranty, that's great, but as people have said, turbo failing can be bad for your engine...?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

thrash wrote:so... how can you tell if someone you've paid to rebuild and balance your turbo has done a decent job or not..?

I suppose if they offer a warranty, that's great, but as people have said, turbo failing can be bad for your engine...?
go to someone like GCG down your way who has a good reputation.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

redzone.. you're a legend..
quest wrote: