New Motor

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

TOMSUN wrote:Should be a weapon...
I certainly hope you're right but I guess that time will tell
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Well Daves had the JB 4 a week now had a few minor probs but all sorted now He has also fixed the slow electric window and he assures me that all being well I can pick it up nxt Wednesday so being ever the optimist have booked my bus seat back to Maroochydoore to drive it back to Brissie
Then I intend to run it in 4 app 600 klicks ( ON PENRITE RUNNING IN OIL )then change the oil & filter & fill it up with Amsoil racing synthetic oil ( Daves putting Amsoil in the g/box when he installs the rebuilt cyroed box behind the Jim Berry solid centre Raceclutch (2300 lb clamp ) THEN IT'S OFF TO MY DYNO TUNER :D
This all has to be done in time for the Bob Jane 150 Maryborough Sprints at the end of June :D
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

its starting to look like we will have to get the head studs from the USA,

anyone know a good place to get 4G54 ARP studs??????
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
4gpwr
I love starions

Head studs

Post by 4gpwr »

Get a tool maker with a cnc lath to machine up some studs just be carefull about the grade of steel used and if the steel has to machined too thin it will cut past the treated or hardend steel making it useless so get the right size steel and nuts and washers can come from arp
4Gs Rule
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Theres a guy on the US Starion forums under the name "Dad" that has ARP bolts for the 4G54, Surely someone will have them in Aus though. Cheaterparts may know?
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I got a fairly good price (I think) from VPW in victoria (03) 8405 9200

- 4G54 ARP head studs $137.95 and
- cometic head gasket +0.5mm $120
- postage $19.95
(Prices include GST)
Nick served me. Invoice #156477

I have a spare set of 10mm spacers (steel) that you'll need for the studs. You'll run out of thread otherwise when tightening in them down on the 4G63 SOHC) $10 + postage if you want. PM me

I have 2 spare ARP fly wheel bolt if your interested ($10 for the pair + postage if you want. PM me) I Got a set for a toyota M12 (1.25 pitch) but need 3mm taken off the length. (They cam as a set off 8 but only need 6 :D ) (Paid $68 for the set of 8 from Rocket Industries)

This more of a pic of my calender than anything :wink:
1985 JB Starion #157
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

TOMSUN wrote:I got a fairly good price (I think) from VPW in victoria (03) 8405 9200

- 4G54 ARP head studs $137.95 and
- cometic head gasket +0.5mm $120
- postage $19.95
(Prices include GST)
Nick served me. Invoice #156477

I have a spare set of 10mm spacers (steel) that you'll need for the studs. You'll run out of thread otherwise when tightening in them down on the 4G63 SOHC) $10 + postage if you want. PM me

I have 2 spare ARP fly wheel bolt if your interested ($10 for the pair + postage if you want. PM me) I Got a set for a toyota M12 (1.25 pitch) but need 3mm taken off the length. (They cam as a set off 8 but only need 6 :D ) (Paid $68 for the set of 8 from Rocket Industries)

This more of a pic of my calender than anything :wink:
Pete it would be apperciated if you can u hold the washers 4 me and do u have the part no on the invoice 4 the studs ?? till I can check with Dave ??
Thanks
RAD
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

AWESOME pete mate thanks for that i'll call em first thing tomorrow!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

JD_Stazza_Brendan wrote:Theres a guy on the US Starion forums under the name "Dad" that has ARP bolts for the 4G54, Surely someone will have them in Aus though. Cheaterparts may know?
I just get my arp stuff from my local autobarn apr stuff is easy to get
I have used VPW myself and found these guys easy to to deal with to

just a question why use the 2.6 bolts ?
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

just a question why use the 2.6 bolts ?[/quote]
Aparently the T/C studs are a bit short to allow them to be screwed fully into the block and still have sufficient thread left 4 the nut & washer to torque down the head without less thread in the block
While they ( the T/C studs ) have been ok in my old donk I/we want to do it a better/properly :D with the new stroker motor
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

OLD FART wrote: have been ok in my old donk I/we want to do it a better/properly :D with the new stroker motor
fair enough, thats why the 10 mm spacer is needed. I was looking at the *63 sohc and *54 head bolts are longer and there is 10-12mm difference in lenth
dont they do a 4g63 sohc ARP ?

I've started getting bits together for a twin cam to replace the 4g54
but unlike yourself I'm planing to destroke a 4g63 with a *61 crank or bore the 1600 to 85.5 depending on if there is enough material to do it safely
that way I can still run the same class 1722 x 1.7 =2928
so the car will still fit in the 2001 - 3000 IPRA just have more power than the N/A *54
the car may even weigh a little less at the worst about the same the engine will be lighter but by the time you add an intercooler , turbo and piping
weight should be much the same
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

cheaterparts wrote: I just get my arp stuff from my local autobarn apr stuff is easy to get
I have used VPW myself and found these guys easy to to deal with to

just a question why use the 2.6 bolts ?
I was told off this forum that they were the G54B are ones to use with the G63B (SOHC)?
See this thread...
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... hlight=arp

I thinking now I should have used the VR4 one that ARP now have listed
http://www.arp-bolts.com/catalog/catalog.html

But some one said that the VR4 ones are too short for the SOHC??? But I'm not so sure now Needs to be verified.

NOTE: The 4G54 ones CAN'T be machined down. It's not that the studs are too long. It's more to do with not having enough thread on the top section of the studs hence the spacers.

On another note 3 bits of aluminium on the underside of the SOHC rocker cover need to be removed as the longer stud hold the rocker cover up. Easy but just another anoyance when deailing with modified mongrel engines
1985 JB Starion #157
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

4g54's are the way to go .....

available from vpw and any good parts supplier , burson and repco can get them in .

dont be silly and use spacers , no need to .
send them down to any competent engine place and have them milled down . wont cost more than 20 bucks .

the t/cam stuff are no good , the 4g54s will work for the 2.0 and the 2.4 head .

graphlex gasket is good for 500 hp , no need to retourgue and seals tight and nice , perfect for high boost to 25psi ,
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Cheater the tc Head is quite a lot heavier than the sohc so you will need to weigh the new combo to measure any reduction in kg's
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i can confirm if u wind the t/c head studs down to the bottom of the thread in the block, the top of the thread at top of the stud is LEVEL with the face of the s/c head, so no thread above the face of the head to put a nut or washer on...