Hello Fellow Starion Owners

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
83Starion
I like starions

Hello Fellow Starion Owners

Post by 83Starion »

Hi All, Name's Heath, just recently purchased a 1983 JA Starion, stock, butiful red colour (been looked after) and picked it up for $1500. I live in Tassie, and I thought I would come and introduce myself.

so i'll start with the problems with the car, fellow said motor don't go, he picked it up and an auction as a stolen recovered car. I I brought the car home, tried to turn it over, nothing, took apark plugs out, then the crank by hand about 3/4 a turn then clunk. turned it back the other was, clunk. so pulled the head off, and only the middle 2 piston are moving.....so I am gussing broken rods, does anybody know, where to pick a normal set up from, or where should I go to now, only a very limited budget...

Cheers
Heath
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

welcome to the site!

probably cheapest easiest way to go would be get a complete good second hand long motor for it, if however u want parts like rods cranks etc i have everything u need. and if u want to rebuild it, ditch the stock starion pistons and install a set of the VR4 type ones so it will handle boost without cracking ring lands :beer
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

yeah wat he siad.....

i did the rebuild with vr4 pistons and they are working a treat....

good luck with the rest of it.... :D:D:D
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!
83Starion
I like starions

Post by 83Starion »

Hey again, i'm new to the mitsu thing lol so the engine I have now would be a 4G63 am I right?? so what year do they go up to and when do they arat changing etc etc. ad where would be the best place to get vr4 pison heads, and would they bolt straight onto standard conrods?? byw red, what kidna prices am i looking at for what you have?? hehe

Cheers :beer
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i have a long motor for sale here for $660 inc gst PLUS SHIPPING that i've driven 200k's and know is good.

hypatec VR4 pistons are $440 and go straight on ur stock rods (press fit)

rods for a pair would be about $60 shipped. crank there are 2 versions long and short nose i'd need to see a pic of yours....

4G63 is 82 up to nearly present day but there are many versions. best to stick with a starion motor not get one from a van or anything else (unless u want to do a big $$ conversion)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

83Starion
I like starions

Post by 83Starion »

So what's the go with the long motor, is that VR4 too? do the VR4's bolt staight on the starion gearbox & engine mounts etc. so is that stuff you got all vr4 gear rod etc. sorry if I am sounding a bit repetitive, bit sleepy and full of questions lol
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Welcome aboard.

No...VR4 won't bolt in. If you've got some time, do a search here cos there's mountains of info hidden away....
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

83Starion wrote:So what's the go with the long motor, is that VR4 too? do the VR4's bolt staight on the starion gearbox & engine mounts etc. so is that stuff you got all vr4 gear rod etc. sorry if I am sounding a bit repetitive, bit sleepy and full of questions lol
long motor is out of a JA 82 starion with 172000kms on the clock. unknown if it has been rebuilt but its in good nick. VR4 will not fit starion box. please do a search on twin cam or VR4 and u will find all the answers u seek. all the s/h parts i have for sale are starion. the rods and crank are basically IDENTICAL between starion and VR4. even HG/HH galant N/A rods are IDENTICAL. i have pics. am planning on doing a mega twin cam how too thread at some stage (still a way off)

83Starion
I like starions

Hi Again

Post by 83Starion »

Hi Guys thanks for your imput.

just founf the problem with m Satrion today, took the head off, then took the starter motor out and I knticed a nice broken conrod sticking out the side of the block, hole was about the sice of the bottom of a 600ml coke bottle =-(, just wondering what my options would be now, so i'm i'm sounding a bit thick but I know people are saying vr4 and they sound good, do you need like a half cut or need a gearbox or change mountings etc etc.
greenstaz82
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by greenstaz82 »

if your on budget source replacement motor
83Starion
I like starions

Hey

Post by 83Starion »

Apart from on here, where would be the best place to source an engine from, Being in Tasmania, don't hear a about a lot of places where you can get stuff.

Cheers
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

redzone wrote:VR4 will not fit starion box. please do a search on twin cam or VR4 and u will find all the answers u seek.
the search button is located between FAQ and memberlist near the top of this page. there have been a million threads about what is involved in changing to a twin cam (easiest way is to use a starion block - u will see why)

getting a starion engine will be hard as they're so old but try wreckers or jap engine importers. probably $1200 or over.

Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but do sigma's not run the same bottom end?
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

sigma?? what u mean?? they're 4G52 and 4G54 astron - totally different engine family....

83Starion
I like starions

Post by 83Starion »

Ok sorry bout that, kinda new to the forums etc, (thought computer was the devil lol) Just thought I would show a pic of what I found...

[/img]