4g64 van conversion to turbo 4g63

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Taras
Big Dorifto

4g64 van conversion to turbo 4g63

Post by Taras »

hey guys
wondering if someone can help?.

my dad has had soo many problems recently with his work van(4g64),
we just had it rebuilt, was working good until he went up a steep hill and blew its head gasket, this has also happpened many times before. and hes decided to do a conversion.

So we're going to swap the engines and loom with a halfcut evo1 or galant, just need to know what other mods would be needed apart from engine mounts exhaust work intake/intercooler. and also can you bolt up the vans 4wd gearbox with a vr4 engine, or does it need some sort or customising,

any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
thanks.
taras
finding the outer limits of performance!!! and the cars for sale.
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

oh no! best reading the technical thread on twin cam conversion - not simple!
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Its been done before by a guy up here in Sydney. Apparently very straight forward believe it or not. Tried searching other forums for you - cant recall where I saw it but any of the Mitsi evo forums would be a good start to research.

Also one of the customers of where I get my tuning done has the DASH motor in his van. Seemed hassle free. Check out MRC Performance and Dyno tuning website.

Cheers
G
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

is the van motor a wideblock? if yes, u will have dramas. if its a narrow block 4G64, then the early evo or VR4 engine will bolt up.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Taras
Big Dorifto

Post by Taras »

thanks ppl

hey redzone how do you tell the difference between a wide or narrow block,
its a 2.4ltr
eng no. 4G64HV0791
can u tell if its a wide block by this info?
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

there is a thread on team4g about this at the moment. 4g64 will be a wideblock according to that thread. Does it have a hydraulic clutch?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Taras wrote:thanks ppl

hey redzone how do you tell the difference between a wide or narrow block,
its a 2.4ltr
eng no. 4G64HV0791
can u tell if its a wide block by this info?
A 4g64 will be a wide block
NARROW BLOCK BELLHOUSING TOP BOLTS ARE 110 MM CENTRES ( wide block 130mm )
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

Taras
Big Dorifto

Post by Taras »

hey guys,

just took the head off the van yesterday, the head gasket did blow, and i had a spare from my starion, it fits up perfectly, now im thinking just bolt on a starion head with turbo and inlet manifold etc. will this work or is there going to be too much compression, being a 2.4ltr and non turbo before,

its a cheaper option to go for the starion head, but dont know what will run better and longer, the vr4 or starion swap,

thanks heaps guys.
taras
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Taras wrote:hey guys,

just took the head off the van yesterday, the head gasket did blow, and i had a spare from my starion, it fits up perfectly, now im thinking just bolt on a starion head with turbo and inlet manifold etc. will this work or is there going to be too much compression, being a 2.4ltr and non turbo before,

its a cheaper option to go for the starion head, but dont know what will run better and longer, the vr4 or starion swap,

thanks heaps guys.
taras
The fire ring on a 63 gasket hangs over the ex valve on a 64 head The 64 gasket is not a true circle around the bore
Last edited by OLD FART on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

OLD FART wrote:
Taras wrote:hey guys,

thanks heaps guys.
taras
A 63 gasket hangs over the ex valve on a 64 head
correct it does you need a 4G64 head gasket if your running the 4G64 head i am running one and know this for a fact!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Cant you jsut take a little off? What are all the guys doing that do the twin cam 4g64 turbos?
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

if u take any off the gasket it will not seal. twin ca heads have a way smaller combustion chamber than the sohc. the sohc one is a really odd shape, more closed chamber style, not a hemi like 2LT sohc head....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

now that I think about it, I remember them being almost oval shaped. I thought that was quite weird.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

It's a good idea and if you're using the Starion head, it will drop your comp to suit which is also good.
Definitely use the head gasket to suit the 64 Block. Get the best one that money can buy...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.