Best way to spend $1000 for track work (Round 2)

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Best way to spend $1000 for track work (Round 2)

Post by www.18u »

I was out at wakefield yesterday for a trackday and was busting to get the car out there but due to a lack of time since purchase it just wasn't possible. I have another day at eastern creek in around 2 months time and with a budget of $1000 i wan't to improve the cars times as much as possible.

I will list the things the car already has or will be fitted before the day in order to help anyones imput.

3 inch exhaust dump included.
Rear coilovers with koni adjustables.
Front and rear pillow balll adjustable strut tops.
front and rear strut braces.
Quick shift kit.

What i was thinking was to leave the engine standard and work more on the suspension and brakes as most performance mods would blow out my budget in one go and may effect the reliability other things aswell.

I also noticed alot of cars had cooling issues when running at the track that never have any problems during normal road driving.

So if i do all my own labour i was thinking of the following.

All new polyurethane bushes.
Fit some good rotors and pads.
General fluid changes brakes,diff,engine oil, coolant and ect.
fit some 2nd hand semi slicks.
Remove speed cut as i hit 220 on the straight in the lancer last time.

I am also looking into a bit of weight reduction as free mods are good mods. :twisted:
Last edited by www.18u on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Are we talking starion?

There is no speed cut on a starion, and I saw the word lancer.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

If you said the car has cooling issues id be sorting those out with the $1000. Like a alloy radiator or better thermo fans.

Better to have a slower car thats still going strong then a fast car thats overheated after the first 2 laps doing possible damage to the car.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

If you said the car has cooling issues id be sorting those out with the $1000. Like a alloy radiator or better thermo fans.
No not my car just the cars at wakefield on the weekend.
There is no speed cut on a starion, and I saw the word lancer.
Yes we are talking starion my 88 jdm widey to be exact which will have a 180km speed cut standard like all jdm cars.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Shannon

Brakes - Pads, fluid.
Tyres - get some new "R" compounds- they are about $1500 - try and stretch the budget to get fresh new ones rather than someone else's used (up) ones.

The things that will hold you back at Wakefield will be grip and braking. The tyres will help with both and the pads and fluid will ensure you have a consistent brake pedal throughout.

All the rest is decoration unless you do the full monty on it.

Come down to Wakefield this Saturday (15th) - I am running the BCFH in the Autosports day.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'd be doing something about the cooling system as starion's do get hot on tracks with the stock radiators and their crappy frontal airflow issues.

and a track spec set of brake pads and fluid change for sure.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Good thread Shannon im looking at the same thing for a trackday in April
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Good thread Shannon im looking at the same thing for a trackday in April
Yeah i think its not about how much you spend just how effective the mods are. The boys doing a track day up in Qld should maybe take some interest in this thread aswell.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

well the plan for my track day is to see how the car goes as is now. Then I will be testing to see how she goes AFTER the upgrades
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

My plan of attack will to top up the fluids: sunscreen and Pepsi Max, then do a tune up: headset to local station and then get a nice spot to view the carnage! :D
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

HAHAHAH sounds like a plan mate. You can watch me lose it pushing her too hard and too fast around the corners trying to keep up with the old fella
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

I'd change out teh radiator for something new and improved. I've yett o find a stock radiator that will hold up to any amoutn of extended high rpms high boost driving with the g54b.

I'd also run a extra quart of oil in the car when you run. Seems to keep the engine from starving oil, which seems to happen when some people flog on a g54b around turns at real high rpms.

brake pads for sure.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yeah I am upgrading the pads (they need doing anyway) before my day. I continually hear about the radiators being a issue. I suppose it would be, being made for such a cool country like Japan.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

another good trick is to space up the rear of the bonnet about 15mm. lets all the hot air out quicker...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

airbats801 wrote:I'd change out teh radiator for something new and improved.

I'd also run a extra quart of oil in the car when you run. Seems to keep the engine from starving oil, which seems to happen when some people flog on a g54b around turns at real high rpms.

brake pads for sure.
if its any help radiator wise ( on the cheap ) holden commodore about VN onward are about the cheapest aly radiator around the outlets are the wrong way around but with some creative plumbing work ( I use a V6 one on a warm N/A 4g54 with no probs never heating up on stinking hot track days )
the V8 have a bigger core that the V6 and would be worth a look

I'm not sure on the 4G63 but a 4G54 does oil surge badly on high speed tracks ( phillip island here in vic is good for surge with its high speed corners )
I myself made up a bit deeper sump that is wider with swinging trap door baffles that does carry a bit more oil and I think the crank scaper also helps

pads Porterfeild carbon kevlar work good and are avalable for starion
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car