diff gears ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
plasticdash
I like starions more

diff gears ?

Post by plasticdash »

Am wondering what ratios are avaliable (and out of what) for the large starion (LSD) diff. i have a factory 3.5 and also have a 4.6 from some american market 4wd (came with car as spares)

just wondering if something in the 3.9 - 4.3 is available out of something - only need the pinion and crown wheel.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

3.9 from JD, rare as rocking horse shit though.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Alspos wrote:3.9 from JD, rare as rocking horse shit though.
That horse shat in my garage about 14 years ago :D
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

so no other mitsi vehicles ran the same pinion/crown wheel size ?
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Apparently the mighty max in the US had ratios of 3.9 and 4.2/3 or the L200 ute equivalent at this end.

I'd try a L200 ute of around the '86 period at the wreckers.... otherwise ask someone from US to get you some
(maybe airbats01)
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
rallystaz
****WELCOME TO AUSTARION!****

Post by rallystaz »

I have a LARGE HOUSING in my rally starion and just recently went through finding new crown and pinion gears for it.. I had a 4.22 ratio which was a great ratio for dirt use but now have gone to a 4.65 ratio which is just as suited for rally however is not suitable for somone with alot of highway driving.. I also measured up a couple of other diffs for spares with different ratios..

The 4.65 is out of an L300 Van rear diff..
4.22 is out of a 93 2WD mitsubishi triton..
I also have a 3.90 ratio but we couldnt figure out what vehicle it was out of just got it off the rack..

All of these crown and pinion gears fit into the large housing from a JD I used my LSD centre for all of the above..
JA Starion Rally Car
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

Cheers guys. will see if i can find me an appropriate ratio at the wreckers. L200's and L300's look like a good place to start.
Mr Ralliart
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Mr Ralliart »

Can still get them new ( 3.9 ) , but bloody expensive .

4.6:1 diff with a Mazda tall ratio gearbox is the perfect Starion setup in my opinion .
マンコ ハンター。
Maximum Gains from Minimum Mods.
Starion Evolution . Lancer Evolution .

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Mr Ralliart wrote: 4.6:1 diff with a Mazda tall ratio gearbox is the perfect Starion setup in my opinion .
perfect for what situation? street? drag? circuit? jack of all trades?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Mr Ralliart

Post by Mr Ralliart »

Everything except perhaps a long circuit like Qld Raceway or Bathurst .

I ran 4.6 's in mine for a while and it was awesome down low to mid range , like my Evo . But the very low 5th gear in the Starion gearbox meant that it ran out of puff way too early so I went back to the 3.5's . But if I fittted a tall ratio gearbox it would be perfect .
Group A cars ran a similar setup ( but with custom gearsets to suit the Starion gearbox and diff ) .

My Starion had the small diff so I got the 4.6's from an express van :wink:

Again , just my opinion based on experience .

( ps . my Evo's final drive ratio is 5.4:1 ) .
マンコ ハンター。

quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Expecially if you're running a VR4 motor, I'd settle on the 'final' gearbox and target power level -before- considering a gear swap.
Often, you'll discover you may have enough torque to turn the 3.54 and a street car will end up quicker overall. Short mis-matched gearing can hurt you.
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

quest wrote:Expecially if you're running a VR4 motor, I'd settle on the 'final' gearbox and target power level -before- considering a gear swap.
Often, you'll discover you may have enough torque to turn the 3.54 and a street car will end up quicker overall. Short mis-matched gearing can hurt you.
Am running twincam making 240kw atw. (power "band" is really from 4.5k to 7k - quite peaky) . I have the bellhousing to do the S5 Rx7 gearbox conversion. only issue i can think of is that the rx7 gearbox 5th gear is quite overdriven (0.719 to 1 compared to starion 0.856 to 1) - may fall off power too much when upshifting.

car does feel a bit tall in the gearing at the moment, but i do like the gear ratios the starion box provides (even if its not a nice shifting box)
Mr Ralliart

Post by Mr Ralliart »

240kwatw is a lot of power , good work !

From what you've said in relation to where the useable power is , I'd definitely be looking at lower gearing .

3.54 is too tall .
I had determind that 4.11 would be ideal when I was playing with gear ratios but they aren't available unless you go to the big $ stuff .
As you have the 4.6 try it , you'll like it :wink:
マンコ ハンター。

flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Mr Ralliart wrote:I ran 4.6 's in mine for a while and it was awesome down low to mid range , like my Evo . But the very low 5th gear in the Starion gearbox meant that it ran out of puff way too early so I went back to the 3.5's . But if I fittted a tall ratio gearbox it would be perfect .
Group A cars ran a similar setup ( but with custom gearsets to suit the Starion gearbox and diff ) .
Group A Starions only had the one set of ratios homologated for the close ratio box and that was with a 1:1 5th gear.
Mr Ralliart

Post by Mr Ralliart »

I was generalizing . Group A was not just Touring cars in Aust , it was a Touring and Rally Formula in many countries .
There were many gear sets made .
マンコ ハンター。