EXHAUST SYSTEM

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
davidbek95
I've been here before

EXHAUST SYSTEM

Post by davidbek95 »

I had 2 muffler on my car,it was reasonably quiet, i put a modified head on it,then it became,louder(deeper) on idle only,so i went to exhaust shop,got a third muffler on and seem to quietin a bit but not alot,i am confused with it,would enlarged exhaust port do this. i don't :? :?
regards david
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I have one muffler and one resonator, and my car is quiet enough. Can't imagine you needing three?

If you need three mufflers, and its still too loud, you must have a crack in your exhaust somewhere. Possibly the exhaust manifold after you changed the head maybe?

Ive seen 11 sec EVOs and GSRs that were quiet enough for street use with just one RPS muffler.

Larger ports will alter the car sound slightly, similar to larger exhaust pipes, but not enough to really notice or care about.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
davidbek95
I've been here before

Post by davidbek95 »

IF HAD A CRACK IN THE MANIFOLD IT WOULD BE LOUDER UNDER BOOST :?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

True
Three mufflers though, has me puzzled also.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Eurotrash
I drive commando!

Post by Eurotrash »

I agree with SpidersWeb. Rather puzzling. From my modified head I have one straight through muffler on my exhaust which is 3 inch turbo to tailpipe and that's it. And that aint that loud. You must have very sensitive hearing. And I've been working in engineering too long.
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

can i ask a question...why would you want to put three mufflers on... wont it soak up a fair bit of power...when i was defected i had to put a muffler on my car, with 1 tri-flow muffler i was under the limit...93db...starions can use up to 96db... an just buy having the triflow on cut down my power a fair bit.
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Depends on your mufflers I 'd say. I have larger ports also and just a single 3in muffler, its ok on idle and under full throt' its load as hell :D
But then Ive heard single 3in systems with only one "super turbo" brand muffler and it was very quiet.

Maybe you want one of these david, they flow well and are very quiet. DynoMax make them, about $250 or 300. You really shouldnt have to have 3 mufflers. One good quality muffler is all you need
Ford G6ET 458wkws