Large LSD

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

JDSTAZ45 wrote:
Xentro wrote:All this diff stuff is confusing, how many different starion diffs are out there?

I'm asking because i was looking to replace just the diff center by one from the states.

The diff is have is from a '90 eu spec widebody with 6 bolt axles

I also have a diff from a 82 2000ex with the 4 bolt axles
And still have to see what is under my 88 widey

What are the sizes I should measure to know what LSD diff center to get?

would a 88-89 US spec LSD center fit?

Would it help if I take some pics & measurements and post em or is this information known already.?
Basically, a pre '85 model staz will have the small diff with 4 bolt axles
A post '85 model to 1987 staz will have a large diff with 4 bolt axles
And then '88 on will have the 6 bolt axle large diff....

So, depending on the year of your car and the type of axle (4 or 6), get the right LSD centre to be on the safe side!!

:beer
Has anyone got a measurement of the diameter of the spline on a 6 bolt axle and how many splines it has? This will determine whether you can use the diff in a car with 4 bolt axles.
davidbek95
I've been here before

diff ratio

Post by davidbek95 »

to work out the diff ratio,you count the number of teeth on the crown wheel and you count the teeth on your pinion wheel so if it has 10 teeth on the pinion and 39 teeth on crown wheel you would have 3.9 gear ratio,u divide the number of teeth on the pinion into the crown wheel number easy as that to get diff ratio.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Alspos wrote:Has anyone got a measurement of the diameter of the spline on a 6 bolt axle and how many splines it has? This will determine whether you can use the diff in a car with 4 bolt axles.
The 6 bolt hub 28 teeth spline is bigger in diameter than the 4 bolt hub 25 teeth spline.

However it is possible to build a custom drive shaft with 28 teeth spline on the diff end and 4 bolt flange on the hub end. This then allows you to install a big 28 teeth spline diff into any 4 bolt hub Starion.
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

I think you can make a custom hub by swapping the flange from the 6 bolt axles and using the complete 6 bolt axles.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Re: diff ratio

Post by Alspos »

davidbek95 wrote:to work out the diff ratio,you count the number of teeth on the crown wheel and you count the teeth on your pinion wheel so if it has 10 teeth on the pinion and 39 teeth on crown wheel you would have 3.9 gear ratio,u divide the number of teeth on the pinion into the crown wheel number easy as that to get diff ratio.
Starions have 11 teeth on the pinion.
JD - 43/11 = 3.909 ratio
JA/JB - 39/11 = 3.545 ratio
zaidja83
I like starions

Post by zaidja83 »

Got the LSD from FLav yesterday afternoon.

Contribution of pics:

Hopefully this should be okay with my JA?
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

The Lsd centre should fit if it's the smaller 180mm/7inch diametre for the JA.
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
zaidja83
I like starions

Post by zaidja83 »

JDSTAZ45 wrote:The Lsd centre should fit if it's the smaller 180mm/7inch diametre for the JA.
Yeah that's what I am hoping for as my JA does have the small housing with the 3.9 crown wheel.