Views Please

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Non-intercooled starions were fine without a BOV, as there wasent enough pipework to build up pressure in to push back on the turbo. Intercooled starions were a different story however, before i put a BOV on my car, there was a very audible Choof Choof Choof of compressor backspin when shifting, this is on the factory turbo, at factory boost levels. If your BOV is adjusted to tightly, then its like not having one at all, as it'll never vent. So Adding the intercooler piping could very well have decreased the life of your turbo, but you had a damn good run out of it! Time to put on a td05-16g, and tell the rest of us how they go.

Oh, Oil smoke is blue in my experience, and coolant smoke is white.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

ProZac wrote: Oh, Oil smoke is blue in my experience, and coolant smoke is white.
tru dat, while black smoke be petrol. 3 colours i never wanna see come out of my exhaust ever again!
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Mmmmmmmmmm all interesting stuff (except of course Gergs 2 cents worth which is of course only worth 2 cents!!!) thanks guys.

Am pretty sure the prob is turbo related and not anywhere else. Noticed that the turbo was leaking oil into the cooler pipes last time I took them off!!!

Hope it may only be seals but suspect it may be worse as the turbo is making a whooing noise. :(

I think it is a combo of old age and a few days when the BOV was overtightened so that no air could escape but as always we all have different views on it. All interesting tho.

She is going in, in the next couple of weeks for an exploratory and poss rebuild of the turbo or........... we have a Hybrid that just might find it's way under the Elfs bonnet. he he he!!

Got to do something to combat the 18PSI I am now forced to compete with !!!!!! :)
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

SpidersWeb wrote:So then what mitsi turbos (if any) are ball-bearing?
are the TD06 turbos cermaic shaft or something else?
The evo td05 have twin scroll turbos, the only mitsu turbo that is ball bearing is the new t88 from trust i believe, i think the td06 is the largest turbo from mitsubishi that is internal, but i think u can get them external.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

if turbo is making a "whoooing" kinda noise then in too weeks it wont be worth rebuilding, the noise as I am sure you all know it the fins hitting the housing. from what I understand the last little bit of the fins is responsible for about %45 of the efficiency of that wheel. or something. and as it was explained to me when they hit the housing it grinds off enough of the edge of the wheel to drop the efficiency quite a bit. so when you rebuild it you may notice it is a little or allot lagyer than be4.

my 2 cents (-GST)
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

What, only 2cents!!!!!

Post by WANTSOM »

Well next time I wont help ya Kelfy. So there. rofl

Mind you, am curious as to your reference to "old age". You talking here about the turbo or something else??????
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.