narrowblock 4G63 to rwd

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
raff_gsr
Newcomer

narrowblock 4G63 to rwd

Post by raff_gsr »

hey guys how are you all?!

my name is raff and im a cordia lad (yeh i no, damn fwd) but ive got two vr4s at home which im going to put to use in a ke30 corolla as i cant find a decent starion here in sa besides bitzas. anyway, ive read up and i know that my engines are narrow block and that the starions are wideblock, hence presenting the issue with bolting up a gearbox for rwd.

ive read here that my option is ready either to find a wideblock (which wont happen as i havent got the money) or use an adaptor plate, however ive heard that the l300/express van was a narrowblock engine and its gearbox fits up to the vr4 no troubles. is this true? also, ive heard that the flywheel wont work due to the teeth not fitting with the starter motor so what suggestions are there for the flywheel and clutch?

also, if anyone has done the conversion themselves, pictures would be absolutely fantastic! sorry to be such a ballbreaker, anyway help would be great!

cheers lads!
spinners
I like starions

Post by spinners »

You can use a l200 ute gearbox and by memory the flywheel and starer motor.I m unsure what l200 utes you guys have in ozzy but the NA 4 G63 cambelt version is the one you want :)
tri26t
I love starions

easy peesie

Post by tri26t »

if you have cable clutch in a KE 30 then
put a sigma Narrow box behind the motor
I think the starter will fit up as well
(cant think why not ?).

Cheers:Phil.
TORQUES-CHEAP.
raff_gsr
Newcomer

Post by raff_gsr »

yep shes cable clutch. ive heard that the sigma boxes are fair strong, can take 350-400hp right? and sorry for being a noob, but which sigmas are the narrowblock? any of the 2.6s?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

the 78 scorpion 2LT alloy box and flywheel is the one u want. apparently came in some 2LT sigmas aswell. the 2.6's are wideblocks if they're manual..

ps this exact topic has been covered ad nauseum, do a search and u will find heaps more info.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Any 2L sigma/scorpion 5 speed will be much of a muchness, but make sure you use a japanese box. These are all alloy and the bellhousing is 1 piece with gearbox housing. If you see a steel housing with a seperate bellhousing do not use it. It is a Borg Warner and total turd.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

yeah the 2lt jap box i picked up from the wreckers was from a sigma. got it for 100 bucks too
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

saw your post on rollaclub
I've got a few pix around here somewhere of a vr4 powered KE70 from a few years back.
Top motor choice, but not a swap for the 'low budget crew'.

W58/4g63-narrow bellhousing available from states, hydraulic clutch.

Majority of 2.0/2.4L rwd swaps I've seen go wideblock

several fast CA18 powered KEs on rollaclub, read their diff details.
(oh... and doubt you'd go faster for cheaper as a ca18 rolla can)

My 2wd toyota truck F-series 7.5 diff was same width as rolla. Tru trak LSD cheap from states. Lotsa mkII supras use 'em. I chose cheap & lightwt 10.5 DSM mitsu rear discs (ebrake in capilper)

dunno whats up with all this surge tank/lift pump bull5hit seen on so many conversions. I cut the whole assembly from whatever EFI car u like & weld it to the top of rolla tank. While its open, make a box or cut out a 'baffle' from another EFI tank and tack to rolla tank floor - this contains fuel for constant supply to pump under any condition.
Cut out the access panel, graft it to rolla trunk floor. Done
Out of sight, quiet trouble free oem-quality install/operation
raff_gsr
Newcomer

Post by raff_gsr »

hey thanks for all the tips and help! so you reckon she'll be slower than a ca18? im contemplating going single cam anyway, but 2.3 litre stroker, we'll see. yeah im utterly confused by all this talk on that forum about surge tanks but yours makes sense, plus i got a cordia im wrecking so i'll use that tank :D have you got any photos buddy?
raff_gsr
Newcomer

Post by raff_gsr »

ive made some calls around and it seems the supra 5 speed with an adapter plate is the way to go as the sigma box cant handle to power and will blow 3rd gear real easily. has anyone experienced the same issues? also ive read up on the thread about how a bloke blew his box and ended up reuilding his and from memory, it said his 5speed has a hydolic clutch? are all the jap 5 speeds hydrolic clutch and if so, how hard is it to change them to cable (or whats involved in converting the corolla to hydrolic?)

cheers for all the help so far everyone! its been fantastic and im pretty close to buying a box, just gotta wait to get paid tomorrow :D

p.s is $240 for gearbox and clutch too expensive? im in sa btw :)
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

feel free to make an offer on my staz....
1983 JA Staz
raff_gsr
Newcomer

Post by raff_gsr »

do you have the starion box? will it bolt up to a narrowblock but, cos if it cant it is useless to me :(
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

On the CA18 vs VR4, I meant there is no stuffing about with;
gearbox adapting / TB-inlet mods / coolant plumbing / turbo-manifold
/ CAS clearance etc.. These can drive swap costs up considerably.
My ca18 donor powerplant all acquired for ~$1000us. Takes little effort to go solid 11s from a street ca18/rolla.
I'd easily say VR4 motors are ultimately better imo tho. more $$$

I've done a few rolla swaps. My 1st many years ago was a staz 2L into
a TE72 1981 2dr rwd. Been addicted ever since. It was actually a
pretty ez low budget swap that totally transformed the car. No gearbox probs as the hull is much lighter than a staz.... and there is always the dohc conversion available, 'if the bug hits' ya.

I still own a 2L sohc/ae86. Plan is to max out the 2L before
replacing it with a truck 2.4L on standby, boosted of course.

Mount the staz clutch pedal/master cylinder assy onto the rolla
firewall. Did it while dashboard was out for wiring and staz cluster

When I get my current rolla swap projects to satisfactory status I'll
post pictures.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

raff_gsr wrote:ive made some calls around and it seems the supra 5 speed with an adapter plate is the way to go as the sigma box cant handle to power and will blow 3rd gear real easily. has anyone experienced the same issues? also ive read up on the thread about how a bloke blew his box and ended up reuilding his and from memory, it said his 5speed has a hydolic clutch? are all the jap 5 speeds hydrolic clutch and if so, how hard is it to change them to cable (or whats involved in converting the corolla to hydrolic?)

cheers for all the help so far everyone! its been fantastic and im pretty close to buying a box, just gotta wait to get paid tomorrow :D

p.s is $240 for gearbox and clutch too expensive? im in sa btw :)
haha, yeah mine blew third. and all the jap 5 speeds are cable as far as i know. i had to convert mine to hydrualic from cable.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

you can also get the r154 turbo 1jz/7mgte 5 speed bell housing from bill in the states too.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero