hmmm gearbox is rooted,

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

so anyone using this gearbox (2L sigma) on a high powered vr4 motor without problems? as i think ill just get mine rebuilt.. maybe it just was one of those things.... or maybe the last people to rebuild it f;d it up

redzone would you be able to give me any measurements of any gears that i can use to check what gears i have in mine??
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
XJ Jeep Cherokee (5" lift, muddies, lockers etc)
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

There was a guy on Ebay selling a VR4 motor with aftermarket turbo/computer etc all set up with a rwd sigma gearbox which was doing 11's. He told me the box was good for a couple of months then he would simply replace it as he could get them for $50 each. I later saw the add under an import engine company as their development mule. You might find it on the net some where - if I find it I will let you know.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

TomVR4 wrote:so anyone using this gearbox (2L sigma) on a high powered vr4 motor without problems? as i think ill just get mine rebuilt.. maybe it just was one of those things.... or maybe the last people to rebuild it f;d it up

redzone would you be able to give me any measurements of any gears that i can use to check what gears i have in mine??
theres a guy running 320hp at the wheels in a red sigma (VR4 powered) with the alloy case scorpion box. nick (evo JB) talked 2 him at powercruise (where he was doing full length of the straight burnouts) and he said that he hadnt had any dramas with the gearbox at all. thats why nick's car runs one. i think they're plenty strong enough. sorry cant give u any gear dimensions as the box is in his car now and i dont have another lying around. by memory the starion gears are about 3-4mm wider. nick's plan is to upgrade to starion gears in the scorpion case when they eventually do shit themselves.

i think it was most likely a dodgy repair or abuse that killed your last box, driving style has a LOT to do with it. simple things like preloading the drivetrain before u drop the clutch.....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

yeah i am just going to pick up a 2l sigma box from a wreckers, maybe tomorrow
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

if its a cast iron case borg warner box (which it will be if u asked for a sigma 2LT 5spd, unless they've already swapped it for a scorpion box) they're weak as shit and NOTHING is interchangeable with a staz box....

u need a scorpion type alloy case box
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

get a bill housing for a w58 or r154 for your vr4 needs ;) t56 6 speed coming soon
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

redzone wrote:if its a cast iron case borg warner box (which it will be if u asked for a sigma 2LT 5spd, unless they've already swapped it for a scorpion box) they're weak as shit and NOTHING is interchangeable with a staz box....

he said its a jap box? not borg warner. and he also said its alloy case. but yeah ill still need to put the slave cylinder on it i just remembered..
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yep jap alloy box is the one :beer

Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

1985 JB - owned from new.
1986 JD - used to own one.......
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

redzone wrote:if its a cast iron case borg warner box (which it will be if u asked for a sigma 2LT 5spd, unless they've already swapped it for a scorpion box) they're weak as shit and NOTHING is interchangeable with a staz box....

Sigmas came with the alloy 2ltr g/box as well.
Unfortunately it is very hit and miss as to which model got what gearbox. There are even 2lt wide blocks!
Many moons ago when I was speaking to a sigma turbo nut he mentioned that the LC Lancer 5 speed was the strongest. I can't verify this, but it does use the same bellhousing so may be worth a try.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

yea your guys import sigmas got them

all of our sigmas (nz) have them too
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

MrBishi wrote:

Sigmas came with the alloy 2ltr g/box as well.
Unfortunately it is very hit and miss as to which model got what gearbox. There are even 2lt wide blocks!
Many moons ago when I was speaking to a sigma turbo nut he mentioned that the LC Lancer 5 speed was the strongest. I can't verify this, but it does use the same bellhousing so may be worth a try.
cool u learn something new every day! yes i knew sigmas are a can of worms, but i thought they all used the borg warner......

igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

dellow bell housing and a supra w58 with a PPG straight cut dog engagement gearset thats what i've got sitting in my shed. i would BE VERY suprised if this combo brakes before anything else.

i good investment if you plan on doing some track work and want a trouble free gearbox that will last the life of the engine.
boost = the replacement for displacement
<<<PIGS can fly
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

igottasicjb wrote:dellow bell housing and a supra w58 with a PPG straight cut dog engagement gearset thats what i've got sitting in my shed. i would BE VERY suprised if this combo brakes before anything else.

i good investment if you plan on doing some track work and want a trouble free gearbox that will last the life of the engine.
how much did this set up cost you, if you don't mind me asking.. thats sort of what i wanted to do but i was looking at around 800 just forr the late model gearbox... and 350 for adapter plate etc etc..
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
DKshauno
Lil' Dorifto

Post by DKshauno »

This all sounds familia, i've been through a few gearboxes my self, i've modifiyed scorpion boxes and fitted sigma gears into starion cases. Thay all don't seem to last, it might be the way i drive.
TomVR4 have you concided fitting an auto, you could use a borgwaner auto or a baby 904 torqueflight (same as what's behind big and small block chryslers) just smaller. To my knowledge all autos are narrow patten, so it should fit. You'll need to modifiy flex plate from a 4G54 too.
1982 JA Starion. LSD, wolf 3D, JD tc05 Turbo,(STD)cam, Double Valve Springs, 91 Galant MPI,42lbs/hr injectors, (STD)Galant Throttlebody, 4x EL Ford Coils, 400x500x95 PWR FMIC, 2.5" exhaust,Wolf Boost Controller, Balance Shafts Eliminated, Wolf Wideband o2.
?rwkw @ 14psi, 13.96 sec @ 95.94mph 1/4mile.