Exhaust Project

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Exhaust Project

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Hey,

I'm undertaking the building of my own exhaust system real soon full 2.5" stainless, using mandrel bends, complete from turbo back.
Heres a shot of what I'm working with in the next few days:

Shiny :P, will add more pics as its built.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Luverly :D

You doing the welding?

Love the dual chamber muffler thingy. Looks expensive. And twin tips should look good out the back...much more refined than a 5" cannon!
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Many projects can be exhausting.

Should come up sweet with that gear.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Alspos wrote: You doing the welding?
Yes, Mig with Stainless wire and shield gas.
Alspos wrote: twin tips should look good out the back...much more refined than a 5" cannon!
I agree, the tips are angle cut whick looks even better than straight cut I reacon.
I'm tired of seeing every sports car fitted with a cannon, it is amusing when you see a cannon on a commodore tho rofl

I'm currently battling to keep the drill bits sharp enough to drill the 12mm 304 stainless plate for the dump pipe :(
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

Starion_Turbo wrote:I'm currently battling to keep the drill bits sharp enough to drill the 12mm 304 stainless plate for the dump pipe :(
Reduce your point angle on the drill and it should cut better, also make sure it cuts! don't let it spin and rub on the stainless as it will work harden the staino :beer

Silas
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Starion_Turbo wrote: I'm tired of seeing every sports car fitted with a cannon, it is amusing when you see a cannon on a commodore tho rofl
Hey... bommodores can still produce some level of power.. what's funny is that a 5 inch cannon is now the stock muffler for every civic out there.. vtec isn't the same as a turbo you knobs :x
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

Should be a nice system, however you've spent around $500-600 bucks on polished stainless pipe and mufflers, why go and wreck it all by using a point and spray welder (mig). They are terrible welders. Stainless pipe should be tig welded. It is so much neater and looks a heap better. If you want a good quality affordable tig go to www.tokentoolroom.com/wsm200a.html and check out the wsm-200. It is a pulse DC inverter style tig. My mate has just bought one and the whole set up (welder gas and regulator) cost 790 bucks. Well worth the money for the quality of welds it can produce.

Just thought I might suggest it, not having a dig. I have done more stainless welding than you can poke a stick at and nothing looks better under the bonnet than a sexy stainless weld.
this was done whilst setting up a 550 dollar tig welder

a hint for dilling stainless, is actually increase the the cut angle on the drill bit and keep you drill rpm to about 500 rpm
boost = the replacement for displacement
<<<PIGS can fly
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Hey

I managed to drill out the holes with a 118degree cutting angle also I used some cutting oil while drilling, still cuting out the turbo flange now with a carbide burr.

Y am I using a mig? Simply put it's because I have one to use. I'm not ready to spend more on a tig welder when I don't do a whole lot of work with steel.
The exhaust system is under the car anyway and I don't plan on showing it.

why'd I go stainless? reasonably priced and will last pretty much forever.
Sigma_turbzz
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Sigma_turbzz »

Why didn't you go 3" ?

It would be louder, but there is only torque loss, not torque gain with keeping the Exhaust small on turbos.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

The turbo exhaust inlet and outlet arn't even 2.5" turbo exit is 2.25"

Stock starion exhaust 2.25" with 2" dump pipe restricts down to even less than 2" at some points in the system (1 7/8" at dump pipe connector)
I reacon 2.5" will be plenty large enough for me as it is pretty much a straight through system with double chamber resonator.

Dump pipe picture on or by monday
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Pics of the dump pipe before final welding and cleanup:

It's longer as it sits back on an angle and has the 90 bend on the pipe not the actual system, theres a slight twist to it to clear bell housing etc.
Noticably lighter than the stock one.
The weldings not perfect, welding thin stuff aint fun but it's all in the name of experience.
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Looks good and will flow HEAPS better than stock. Can't wait to see the whole system completed! :beer
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

sorry but i think it looks like chook shit look at all the slag :( get a pro to do it you spent good money on materials dont leb it up now
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

compressor wrote:sorry but i think it looks like chook shit look at all the slag :( get a pro to do it you spent good money on materials dont leb it up now
its only because he is not using a tig welder but yes it doesn;t look the best but then again who is going to see it! aslong as it flows nicely and doesn;t leak does it really matter? he has already stated that he doesn;t mind cause know one will be seeing it
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

He could probably clean that weld bead easily with a wire wheel.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER