My Intercooler Setup

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

My Intercooler Setup

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Hey,
I recently installed my intercooler and made up piping, managed to keep all washerbottles, overflows, battery and tray in stock positions etc.
Cooler core is 450mm x 300mm x 76mm, piping is all 2.25" mild steel with mandrel bends.
I replaced the stock starion fans with slim brushless ones to accomodate the piping between the radiator and the engine, and slapped a 10" thermofan onto the cooler itself.
I'd like to thank Oscar for sourcing some silicone joiners for me, cheers m8 much appreciated. Also my dad for his welding it all.

Pics:

10" slim thermofan on mounting rack, my substitute for the lack of air flow behind the starion nosecone, also assists radiator and oil cooler.

Before final welding of endplates for bolts

End product, finished with a VHT silver satin and high temp clearcoat

Future addiations will be intake temperature meter and water / methanol injection.

Dallas
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

I'm keen to see the intake temp difference with the fan on and off! I've got a spare fan waiting to go into my cooler still
_

Post by Alspos »

Would help at the lights keeping the core/inlet air cool, but once moving I reckon it would not be as beneficial. So when the lights go green, nice cool cooler to work for you.
Nice experiment to try.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Correct, the fan is mainly for city driving, as on hot days the car tends to act like a slug when taking off etc (at least it was b4 the intercooler).
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Interestingly enough my JD has three thermo fans (the third thermo fan is on the front of the radiator) and a temp sensor on each side of the radiator. I'm pretty sure this is standard?
Marc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Marc »

Great job on the cooler setup mate, looks fantastic! i'll be mounting mine soon..... so hope i can get it looking like yours.

I'll prob relocate my washer bottle though, and recently bought a slim battery after mine died so think i'll plumb it through there if all goes well.

Just a question.... i also have a 450mm x 300mm, and just wondering if any of the cooler shows from the outside, under the number plate after you mounted the front bar back on?

cheers...

:beer
82' Silver JA
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

This is what it looks like mounted Marc, you can see the top of the cooler behind the grill

Marc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Marc »

that looks great. nice work.

has your running temp dropped at all?
82' Silver JA
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

hard to say, I live kind of country, most of my driving is at 110km/h, not much chance for car to get hot unless I goto the city.
Tezstaz
Newcomer

Post by Tezstaz »

Thanks mate for the quick reply much appreciated