1981 mitsubishi lancer + 4g63t

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

1981 mitsubishi lancer + 4g63t

Post by rxtoy »

http://mitsi61.freeserverhost.com/galle ... p?album=13

i don't think these are very common in Australia, even the carby ones.

this originally came out with a 1500 carby so when i blew the head gasket i decided to see what else i could do with it. its got a gearbox, interior, wiring loom and a diff (open) from an EX1800 (1800 turbo version of the same car, there are a few of them that have been imported over here and this one was rusted beyond repair). the engine is from a turbo galant and i'm pretty sure its the same as the early starion one's, ie: an 8 valve non intercooled with a TC05 turbo.

its been lowered about 3" with fwd mirage rear shocks (the very early 80's shape, pretty much bolt straight in) and some toyota shocks adapted for the front (not easy, i wouldn't do it this way again).

its got recaro's in the front but they're pretty rough, need a recover when i've got the spare cash. they bolted straight up to the stock seat rails though which was a bonus.

the boost gauge is just 't'd in where the hose goes to the boost cut thing (can't remember the technical name, the bit by the right side window wiper).

its a bit of a rough ride with it as low as it is but this will be remedied, i need to shorten the bump stops and make up some roll centre adjusters for the front when i've got the spare time

the exterior? well obviously its a bit rough, i've got the other two wheels on one of my other cars at the moment, should have that sorted in a couple of weeks, the paint? not too worried, i built this as a bit of a 'surprise' car so it adds to the effect (plus i can't afford it). the bumpers are just what we got stuck with over here in new zealand, nothing as cool as the EX2000 (british version that came out with 4g63t, rally homologation style thing) bumpers are available but i'm not too worried about it, might have to do something when i get an intercooler hooked up to improve airflow though.

cheers
Matt

ps: a big thank you to Brett and Mike who supplied almost all the parts and technical information
Last edited by rxtoy on Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

You need to put the full address in the link, it has been shortened. (q...ls)
kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

Hey how did you get on with the wiring, I havent been near my car since we last PM'd.

If you still need the help I can arrange something.
It wasnt me, nobody saw me do it, you cant proove a thing
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

links fixed, not sure what went wrong with my copy and paste the first time.

and i got the wiring sorted thanks, i ended up getting the original ex lancer loom from somebody with a spare car they were stripping so it all hooked straight up (pretty much, still not sure where my oil pressure gauge is meant to hook up, it just reads high all the time and the oil light stays on but i'll get round to fixing that when i've got a spare hour, this week hopefully)

cheers
Matt
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
ADR_lancer
[P] Plater austaz

Post by ADR_lancer »

Cogratulations, top effort! Great to see that you finally got it all sorted.

So how does it go? As quick as you hoped?

We EX turbo owners need to get together, its just a shame we're all spread over the country.
EX Lancer Turbo
8 Valves of Fury
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

yeah, definitly as quick as i hoped. a pretty good little road car and there's so much potential there for mods considering its all stock at the moment. just want to get the brakes and suspension sorted out properly before i start making her too much faster.

any ideas for brake upgrades?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Starion discs/calipers for the front maybe, and a turbo sigma rear end with discs?

These cars are so light :)
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

i've already got a ex1800 disc rear (same as the sigma ones 'apparently')

i'm looking into starion front brakes but i might have a line on some ex1800 front struts, just checking it out.

don't suppose any of the nz'ers (especially aucklanders) have got a set of starion struts for sale???

only thing i'm not sure about with the starion struts is the camber but they've got to be better than what i've got.

cheers
Matt
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

rxtoy wrote:don't suppose any of the nz'ers (especially aucklanders) have got a set of starion struts for sale???
t

dunno if this helps, but have a look at it.......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auct ... d=15161033

oz, here i come....
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

i was just looking at that 2 minutes ago, mainly need the brakes though and the rear struts would be no good (don't fit) so not really worth it for me to grab.

cheers though
Matt
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Are they those springs on trademe worth it for Starion owners? Or is it just a go-no-where upgrade?

And good god there is heaps of kiwi users on here now!
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

SpidersWeb wrote:Are they those springs on trademe worth it for Starion owners? Or is it just a go-no-where upgrade?

And good god there is heaps of kiwi users on here now!

hmm, im having a bit of trouble getting details on those springs aye.... iv have the owners cell number but he wont answer me or return my calls...
oz, here i come....