Thrash: Reincarnation

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Nice work on the number plate garnish! As mentioned before, the day a get one fully intact in that style, I'm getting personalised plates on my car!
The JDM/US ones are much better design for strength and less proned to breaking apart. But don't really suit the JB on taillights! A nice match with the JA ones tho.

With your wheels, I always get the picture of black centres on your car, probably because of your last mesh set and your general like for them for black centres....
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

If I put another set of wheels on, i'll have the centres painted black - but i'm not touching these, as the finish looks quite good!
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Keep up the good work... Need to get it back on the street where it belongs.
1985 JB Starion #157
JA83
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by JA83 »

seeing as you've got your pump mounted with the surge tank, have you put a lift pump ontop of the tank in the factory fuel pump location? or an intank lift pump?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

I can't remember if the pump on top of the tank is a walbro 392 or a standard unit, but whatever it is, it's still there and feeding the surge tank. I didn't see a point in changing it?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

TOMSUN wrote:Keep up the good work... Need to get it back on the street where it belongs.
thanks! Front bar is next, but unfortunately i've been busy and strapped for cash, so eveything has been delayed.
quest wrote:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Started working on her again on Monday after an eight month break (time and money, the usual culprits of course).

set up the front bar over the past 4 nights. It's far from finished, but here's a few snaps of the progress..

Still need to tuck in the sides so they sit flush against the guards, and i'm considering cutting below the mouth section and then sticking it back on a bit lower, so that the mouth opening is larger for more intercooler airflow goodness. As it is now, it's about the same size as the advanced spoilers front bar opening, but i think i should go bigger given that there is the space to do so.

Once it's done and i've put the intercooler in place, i'll have to find a good fibreglasser to stick the pieces together permanently, and then it'll be paint time.

What do you guys think?
quest wrote:
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I'm thinking that adding a lower lip extension might finish it off.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Coming along nicely. It is going to be very low, you will have to watch out for some driveways.
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thanks guys

I'll make a lip out out of MDF and paint it and stick it on the bottom. It'll be a sacrificial unit that I can throw away and replace if/when it's worn out from scraping

It's actually not much lower than the body of the car. With the car taken off the jack stands, it sits about 150mm off the ground. Is that too low?
quest wrote:
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Looks alright and aggressive!
I'm surprised how snuggly it fits around the bar!
A few fasteners and clips to join the pieces and the rest with fibreglass and bog to secure the join, DIY really.
I think you would need to dismantle the front bar to make it fit properly onto it. Metal strips could be used similar to the way the JD skirt is attached.

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

MDF is a good option for the lip. It may scrape on certain driveways simply cause of the natural of the overhang of the front bar.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

You would be surprised how many circuit cars have MDF splitters
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah MDF is good because it's cheap and easily replaced as a sacrificial unit :)

Next question is, how far forward of the bar should the lip/splitter come out?

I was thinking no more than an inch or max two, since the car still has to be streetable without attracting too much attention..

Mal, I've never worked with fibreglass. Where can I get the stuff to join the pieces myself? The pieces are already bolted together, so the whole thing can be moved as one unit.

Mind you, it's not actually bolted to the front bumper at all. it's bolted to the reo, and to one of the screws that join the bumper to each wheel well.
quest wrote:
JayME
Big Dorifto

Post by JayME »

Just had a read through your build. Your car looks properly tidy and with what your bolting onto it should definitely have the go to match!

The front looks good, looks like the ideal setup for a cold air intake.