Thrash: Reincarnation

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Thrash: Reincarnation

Post by thrash »

I have to say thank you to the lovely people of this forum. If it wasn't for you bloody lot, I would have given up on Starions long long ago. People always tell me I would have been much better off financially, but I would have missed out on some fantastic people, and also would have missed out on all the things i've learnt. Both of those are worth much much more :beer

So I guess I owe it to you guys to put up some pictures of my car's reincarnation. Only some teasers for the time being, as the car is still almost just a registered shell - but more to come as progress is made :)

quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Awaiting more pics!!

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

Great to hear.... !! more pics! !!
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Watching this with great interest! :-).
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thanks guys :beer

You reckon it'll hold?

I also just realized that this pump is a Bosch 910, not an 044, so I might have to change that.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Exciting :beer
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Hey Mr T looking good :beer
May I suggest some flex in the Wastegate pipe??
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Won't hold if you don't do the clamp up rofl

Is the cut tube welded at the back ? (underside of the tank)
I personally would use a longer piece of tube and gusset it to the front of the surge tank and clamp nearer the middle of the pump.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Oldie, your suggestions are very much welcome! May I ask the reasoning behind having one only on the wastegate pipe?

Al, it holds with the clamp tightened, but this is stationary, and I don't want it coming apart when under the car and in motion... I don't quite understand what you mean clamping to the middle of the pump - I know that'd be better, but this is the closest I can get it, the fittings are in contact with the pump inlet within the rubber hose.. here are some closer pictures:

This is one of the surge tanks that JAS had batch made. There is an adapter fitting screwed into the tank, connected to a barbed fitting, to the rubber hose, to the fuel tank...
quest wrote:
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

According to my mate Mick from Exotic exhaust it helps prevent cracking due to different expansion rates :)
I must be slipping or getting old as I just noticed the slip joint :( so no braid needed :D

PS Are you going to get it ceramic coated as well?
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Thats one of the tanks I had made all right :)
I just screwed the pump straight into the fitting on the tank. So the pump is tucked under the tank nicely and the clamp holts the outlet end.
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Oldie, yes, I'm expecting to get it ceramic coated once i've decided if it needs to be altered or not

JAS, Originally when I had the shop put the surge tank in, they they had a fitting screwed into the tank that was much smaller in diameter than the pump inlet, and then a direct piece of hose to the pump inlet, and this caused a leak, as you can see from the condition of the tank. The shop reckoned it was the tank itself that was leaking, but i'm pretty sure this was the reason.
quest wrote:
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Just use a swivel fitting direct from the tank to the pump. Thats what I reccomend to all my customers.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

As above, if you can mount it further back it would be good.

Think about when holding a broom handle, there's less effort holding it horizontal in the middle than by holding one end. As the fuel outlet connects to another hose then the metal line, it will be prone to movement which could over time break the aluminium tab off.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah that's what i was worried about.. so..

That's looking a bit better, no? Thanks heaps to Aaron for organising the 044 pump, despite having much, much better things to do since since Wednesday morning ;)

Now I can finally clamp it up and put it all back in tomorrow, and maybe even get the car on her own four paws :D
quest wrote: