FST4RD's track car.... take 2

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

FST4RD's track car.... take 2

Post by FST4RD »

So a while ago I sold my GSR-V and regretted it ever since. Then JAS happened across a '83 Starion GSR 3 for $800. I had been wanting to build a track car for a while so I man'd up and bought that. Prozac and JAS will tell you that this Starion was probably the most interesting Starion ever... It had no turbo, a real mix of parts through out, the most amazingly poor home wiring job and we still don't know to this day how or why it ran. It did have some good things though, it's 100% rust free and it has a good clutch and gearbox and what seems to be a really good DASH bottom end and 8v head.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and JAS is back on the phone telling me there's a caged shell on trademe that would suit me down to the ground :? (got to stop listening to this chap or I'll be poor LOL ). Anyways after talking to the guy and winning the auction for $2500 I had another Starion.
This one was well worth the money. It has a full certified/approved rollcage, partially seem welded shell, an LSD that's had $1k thrown at it and not even driven on, Rose jointed bottom arms, and full brand new custom built adjustable suspension with new blistein inserts and king spring springs. He said the suspension cost him what I paid for the whole car! The only thing the car didn't come with is motor and box.
So.... now I'm 1 step closer to getting a trackcar.
The goal has changed; build a reliable road registered trackcar for as little as possible. The only thing I am missing to finish the car off is putting it back together and some uprated brakes. Engine will be pretty much standard, will probably track down a TD-05 16G of some description at some stage, but at the moment I just want to get it running.
I'll get some photos up soon
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Pic of the suspension

Also came on these 15's. They look really good in real life, pics don't do them justice. Anyone know what they might be?
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Got any pics of the rose jointed arms?
Ive got uprated brakes and a rebuilt turbo here if ya want them too can do ya a deal :-)
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

sounds like you nabbed yourself a bargain!!

Always good to see more track oriented builds happening :beer
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
JA83
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by JA83 »

sounds like you got two bargains! Any idea if the td05 16g will bolt onto a stock 8v manifold? ive heard they do but for the life of me cant find anyone who has done it..
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

JA83 wrote:sounds like you got two bargains! Any idea if the td05 16g will bolt onto a stock 8v manifold? ive heard they do but for the life of me cant find anyone who has done it..
I'm sure they do, seen it done. The exhaust is completely different though.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

thrash wrote:sounds like you nabbed yourself a bargain!!

Always good to see more track oriented builds happening :beer
Yeah hopefully I've done alright
After selling the old GSR-V I thought if I was ever going to buy another one it was going to be a track car for sure.
Starions are definitely a real nice car to drive on the roads, but they are much more in their element getting thrown around corners.
niss720
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by niss720 »

JA83 wrote:Any idea if the td05 16g will bolt onto a stock 8v manifold? ive heard they do but for the life of me cant find anyone who has done it..
It doesn't bolt on as such but can get it to with minimal work, I can't remember exactly but think you drill out 3 of the studs on the manifold and one on the turbo to make it work. Also the port hole in the flange is a different size so you need to grind it out to match the turbo inlet. Also you need to weld the correct flange on the dump pipe to suit the turbo

Little bit of work but it is definately worth it :beer I think I still have a modified manifold here with a TD05 14b turbo if anyone is interested

Looking good Fst4rd keen to see this in action, any chance you could get a pic of the rose jointed suspension? I've wanted to try to adapt fully adjustable suspension to mine for a while but am not sure how to go about it yet :roll:
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
Blue JA Starion (parting)
Silver JA Starion, 45000kms, coilovers
4G63 VR4 cordia
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

I'm certainly looking forward to getting it going
Already jigged up an engine crane to borrow, now just to sort out a time with JAS to help me swap the motor over. Also going to swap my manual rack for the power steering rack in there, we'll do that at the same time.

I'll get some photos of the rose jointed arms in the weekend for everyone.