JD Starion

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
Neil
Big Dorifto

JD Starion

Post by Neil »

Hey Guys,

I been lurking on the site since I joined in 2008 but haven't had many posts, probably because my JD has been a static ornament on the nature strip for the last couple of years.
I bought it in 1996 with 90K on the clock. From the log book it looks like it came from young/Forbes area NSW. Was in immaculate condition when I bought it, complete with pot-purri in the ashtray to create some ambiance while driving.
I drove it for the best part of 15 years as my daily driver. One day on the way to work one morning it ground to a horrible stop 2 blocks from home. Seized balance shaft I believe but haven't checked yet as I towed it home and it sat on the nature strip ever since.
Had a couple of kids in the meantime but methinks now is the time to get it back up and running.

The engine is still original - now done 290Kish. On my third turbo though in that time. Current one is TD06 with machined TD05 front so it points in the correct direction for the inter-cooler piping.

Had it resprayed in 2003ish as the original paint was peeling - now the respray is peeling as well so it definitely needs a paint-job amongst other things.

I'll post some pics - from original to respray to the ugly truth now 8(

This is how it looked when I bought it - was in fantastic condition with 90K

This is after respray:

and unfortunately - this is how it looks now:

1987 JD Starion
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Sweet looking ride!! Hope to see more progress of it.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Pretty amazing you'd find a starion in that original condition after 20 years and then put another 200K km's on it!
Car definitely has potential to put back to former glory! Nice straight body lines on it!! Only around 50 delivered in Oz!!

The bloke that bought my 2nd widey has a mate who has a red JD tucked away in a warehouse. Numbered #0007.
Has a set of Neele wheels which were popular in NSW in the 80's. Actually, this red car was the reason I bought my white JD #45 (sold since)
when I used to see it parked at Coltspeed for repairs!
JD's are coming out of the wood-work! :D
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I'm fairly sure that red JD was owned by ralliart Australian team manager George Shepard. Would have a few special parts on it and cream cloth interior. Not velour. Had about 6k on it when I saw it and was sold not long after. Beautiful car.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

JDSTAZ45 wrote:Pretty amazing you'd find a starion in that original condition after 20 years and then put another 200K km's on it![/img]
Mal I think you miscalculated by a about decade ;)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

There can't have been many JD's in that colour combo!

This might be yours on the top-right corner?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHEELS-1986- ... 257ee18ed2
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

thrash wrote:
JDSTAZ45 wrote:Pretty amazing you'd find a starion in that original condition after 20 years and then put another 200K km's on it![/img]
Mal I think you miscalculated by a about decade ;)
Man, I got that wrong. I think too much starion stuff is frying my brain :D
Still, to get 200k km's from a 10 year old car is not bad either, esp a Starion!
The red JD is an ex-race car but has the black velour interior. Don't know why they would persist with the TC05 though apart from rules and reg's??
The TC05 compressor wheel housing could have been kept but the exhaust side(060 v's 080) and internals could have been TD06!! Still original when I looked apart from the dump-pipe!

I reckon the two tone burgundy/champagne was the most common colour combo of the JD. Seen a few around here (sold from Haberfield Mitsubishi).
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
starionc
I love starions

Post by starionc »

[/quote]
I reckon the two tone burgundy/champagne was the most common colour combo of the JD. Seen a few around here (sold from Haberfield Mitsubishi).[/quote]

My first JB was sold new from Haberfield Mitsubishi!!!
I like the Burgundy over Champagne color. Never seen a JD one tho, only JB's
How many Starions can one man drive!!

Check out my website: www.aboutstumpgrinding.com.au
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

George's red starion was a JB. Was a very clean and quick car.
Neil
Big Dorifto

Post by Neil »

OK, had to move the car from the nature strip (in photos of bad paint etc) to 15 metres away (off the nature strip) because I was fined 3 times before I even knew it had happened.

1st was: park a car on a path/strip in a public place -never got that one on car or in mail
2nd - got another for same offence 10 days later ( actually got that one) $110 - but I rec'd it 3 days after it was due! :wtf:
3rd - Got penalty of $550 for not paying the first one which I never rec'd - and told me I had abandoned a car in a public place (right out front of my house! WTF :shock:)
4th - Got another before I had any idea of the other two $110

Disputed them all but the Gv't sux ass - Good luck with that I say....

Car is now 10M :wtf: closer to the house :wtf: and restoration has been upped in priority .. :shock: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :finger :finger :finger
Local Government - you suck ASSSSSSSS
1987 JD Starion
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

FYI when I bought my 3.9 lsd off George he also wanted me to buy a turbo he had on the shelf as it would make the JB faster.
I asked him why and he said it was the one they used in the Sth East Asian races but could not use it in races here because the size was checked and would have been picked up by the officials LOL
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Neil
Big Dorifto

Post by Neil »

My D2's have shipped! :D
Got the message from Nick on StarQuestClub this morning.
Now I've just got to work out how to install them (Choppy Choppy Weldy Weldy)
1987 JD Starion
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Neil wrote:OK, had to move the car from the nature strip (in photos of bad paint etc) to 15 metres away (off the nature strip) because I was fined 3 times before I even knew it had happened.

1st was: park a car on a path/strip in a public place -never got that one on car or in mail
2nd - got another for same offence 10 days later ( actually got that one) $110 - but I rec'd it 3 days after it was due! :wtf:
3rd - Got penalty of $550 for not paying the first one which I never rec'd - and told me I had abandoned a car in a public place (right out front of my house! WTF :shock:)
4th - Got another before I had any idea of the other two $110

Disputed them all but the Gv't sux ass - Good luck with that I say....

Car is now 10M :wtf: closer to the house :wtf: and restoration has been upped in priority .. :shock: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :finger :finger :finger
Local Government - you suck ASSSSSSSS
At least they didn't tow yours away. I left an unregistered car on the street and the local council left a note saying they'd tow it away if it was still there after x date... so I moved it around to a back street.. and they found it and towed it anyway :x Should have put a cover over it
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Neil, curious what you did about the fines...it's utter bullshit if you paid them as it's unlawful to levy that upon you/us.
Each state is governed by legislation, Imperials Act Application Act.
In Victoria for example, Imperials Act Application Act 1980, Section 8 subsection 12 states:

That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction, are illegal and void.

Local Council, as in municipal, have no authority so there's argument there.

There are constitutional arguments on this too, but won't get into it here.
Perhaps we could start a separate thread.

Now, about that JD... :D
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Neil
Big Dorifto

Post by Neil »

No I haven't paid them - I've contested them all - we shall see what happens.....
1987 JD Starion