ProZac's 1982 Starion - Now with added 86!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

ProZac wrote:It's tempting, but I'm not confident it being able to get a half-way decent result :-/.
Id be happy to flick some paint on it for you mate. Did mike give you any left overs?
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

JAS wrote:
ProZac wrote:It's tempting, but I'm not confident it being able to get a half-way decent result :-/.
Id be happy to flick some paint on it for you mate. Did mike give you any left overs?
Oh and dont forget the seam welding, smoothing and hole filling. Oh the fun of it all!!!! :D
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Hah, definately not going to the level of awesomeness you went to with Goldy, as far as filling stuff in is concerned! :-). No spare paint unfortunately, but it's apparently 'Sting Red' from PPG.

I have removed all the old brackets (igniter, cruise, afm) and what not though. Just back in from the garage now infact, got the old spot weld holes all tidied up and sorted.

Welded in some m4 studs to act as grounding points, as the factory grounding points have given me troubles before.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

JAS wrote:
If i send you my car can you flick some paint on it? Pref all over inside outside and engine bay haha :twisted:
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

ProZac wrote:Hah, definately not going to the level of awesomeness you went to with Goldy, as far as filling stuff in is concerned! :-). No spare paint unfortunately, but it's apparently 'Sting Red' from PPG.

I have removed all the old brackets (igniter, cruise, afm) and what not though. Just back in from the garage now infact, got the old spot weld holes all tidied up and sorted.

Welded in some m4 studs to act as grounding points, as the factory grounding points have given me troubles before.
Sounds like its just about ready for paint.
If you get the paint etc I have the gear and I could make some time :)
Lunacy wrote: If i send you my car can you flick some paint on it? Pref all over inside outside and engine bay haha :twisted:
Haha. Sure. Send it down on the courier :)
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Boring ass update with no pictures, sorry.

As the red car is an early 86, it has the earlier model door skins, with the power window switches in the center console. I've always wanted the later model door skins, so hunted for a set.

The first set I imported from Japan, but I made a stuff up, and they were the fabric ones, and looked daft against the vinyl/leather of the rest of the car. I sold those on trademe for what they owed me, so no loss there. They also provided me with the RHD window switches I needed.

The second set I bought from Tamgesic up north, and was really disappointed as they were in really rough condition, totally unusable, which is not what I was told when buying them. Will be the last thing I buy from her, that is for sure! Buyer beware! Seems like pretty much every piece that comes from her is in much much worse condition than stated.

The third set I got from Motocam360, and they're mintishly mint, absolutely awesome condition, and the cheapest of all three sets! Tim is awesome to deal with, highly recommended!

I fitted the passengers one first, and that went very smoothly. I made sure to get the extra brackets that provide the mounting point for the bottom of the grab handle from Tim, and installing them, was just a case of moving the old plastic screw inserts to the correct places and popping it all back together. A slight trim job where the seat belts pass through, but it's pretty easy as there is a nice trim piece to cover it all up.

I then discovered the drivers door on the red car has been replaced at some stage, as it was silver underneath the skin. No problems, as its in really good condition. But it must be a really early door, as the pressing is slightly different. The holes for the grab handle support bracket weren't there, and the embossed shapes are also slightly different. No worries though, as a couple of drilled holes and it all went together pretty easily.

So all in all, a good success, later model door skins fitted and looking swish :-).

The only other different I can find is the dash having an ammeter instead of a volt meter. I've got a later model dash knocking around, so might swap that in sometime.
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

good times man, its always a small drama with starion door cards no matter why you're doing. Pleased it worked out well in the end. This needs pics tho :)

87 Starion EX
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The upper padded door trims on the red car had a mish-mash collection of trim clips. After a bit of experimentation, I found that if you remove the bushing/insert from the door skin, it leaves an ~8.5mm hole in the panel steel. Champion fastner PP92, http://www.isl-industrial.co.nz/default ... enumber=12, fits beautifully in the upper trim piece, and they click into place really nicely in the 8.5mm hole in the door. Really firm hold, good pressure, but also removable again without breaking anything.

Each upper trim piece takes seven clips, I bought three 5-packs from repco. They even had them in stock all at the same store, bloody amazing.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

great tip on the clips mate!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Please add that info to the "Aftermarket Part Number Reference Guide"
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I had a pretty good excuse for not getting much work done on this thing over the last couple of months, I went and did this:

The man on the right being my brother,and best man, delivering a speech in which Starions featured prominently :-). The lovely lady on the left being my now wife, Laura. We've been together for a very long time, so my love of Starions is of no news to her. Everyone else also already had an inkling as to my love of the cars, as we turned up to the reception in this:

Thanks heaps Jason, it was so awesome to have the car on the day. Apparently there are some other photos of it knocking about, I'll be sure to get them to you :-).

Wedding and Honeymoon are now officially done.... and It's straight back to work 6 days a week, so STILL no time for the car! I'll squeek in the odd hour or two here and there though :-). I've got a lot of parts out for machining, so it's a bit of a waiting game at the moment anyways :-).
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Congrats dude!!
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Love the chucks with the suit mate :beer
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Congrats to both of you :beer
Now a little tip for you Zac :D
When you are wrong admit it
And when you are right shut up :)