My new jb

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
www.18u
almost postwhore

My new jb

Post by www.18u »

Well the doc told me to do more of what makes me happy, so even though i couldn't really afford it i bought a jb.

The car was in qld and was bought sight unseen, with the intention of driving it home and fitting some of my bits and pieces lying around that i couldn't sell.

So a one way flight to the goldcoast, and a night at mrbishi's house (thanks again Anthony) and i was ready to attempt a drive i have always wanted to do.

In typical starion fashion i found myself broken down after just 10 mins of ownership.

So with first impressions not looking to good, i also discovered a terrible power steering pump noise, a engine pinging under load and no radio!

After taking some timing out and a vitals check i set off on my 12hr journey into the uknown :shock: .

After the first few hours i began to really settle in and started to feel like i was bonding with the car. It seemed to have a sweet spot and if i held it there i was beginning to think i was going to make it. :)

I stopped at Grafton maccas, and Hawks Nest Ayres rock servo for fuel and a power steering and oil top up.

I know this car has 394,000km and has some issues but i am in love. It reminds me why i bought a starion in the first place, and now i feel like i owe it to bring it back to its former glory.

12hrs and 996km of pure joy and a smile from ear to ear. This is motoring the way it should be, a partnership between man and machine.
We came along way together but it's only the beginning. It was worth every dollar of the $2450 asking price for a memory i'll never forget.

Grafton Macca's
The Big Banana
Ayres Rock Servo
After a quick tidy up it's time to meet it's fatter brother rofl
Last edited by www.18u on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Hey Shannon great to hear you are loving cars and life again .It didn't take long to get the wheels upgraded :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Looks sweet as man! ps i have power steering pump rebuild kits now if you need one :)

What was fuel consumption like on the way down?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Thanks Fellas :beer I have 3 power steering pumps, a steering box and a rack so i should be ok. Today besides the rims it scored a new nose cone, a us spec cubby holder and a uncracked air filter pipe. Hopefully tomorrow it will get a mookeeh sort shifter when i find the nylon bush for the selector shaft, new glass and passenger regulator.

So keen for the Bathurst cruise now!
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Awesome work shannon.

Looks like a nice little buy.

Reading posts like that, make me determined to find a second one to have for weekend cruising.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

Those wheels look great on the white car.........
Very Nice Shannon :D
1985 JB - owned from new.
1986 JD - used to own one.......
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Good to hear you had a pleasant experience with the JB after your initial hiccup!!

Lets hope the journey keeps going on this nice JB unit!! I think it has potential!!

Welcome to the fat brother and flat brother club :) :)
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

It was good to see you again. Hope you didn't suffer the vomit smell all the 12 hours.
It's a rough diamond. A bit of work will see a good car.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Hope you didn't suffer the vomit smell all the 12 hours.
I bought a air freshener and had the windows down most of the way.
I got a bad case of truckies arm on the trip too...
Today i am steam cleaning the carpet , and installing a radio.
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Looks great Shannon, Staz's are great for road trips :beer
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

www.18u wrote:
Hope you didn't suffer the vomit smell all the 12 hours.
I bought a air freshener and had the windows down most of the way.
I got a bad case of truckies arm on the trip too...
Today i am steam cleaning the carpet , and installing a radio.
let me guess, old mate's sister had a baby LOL
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Re: My new jb

Post by avandulls_gal »

www.18u wrote:Well the doc told me to do more of what makes me happy, so even though i couldn't really afford it i bought a jb.
rofl

He's dead right, but I wonder did he know what he was telling you! Good work and glad you got it home!
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

well done mate, its these little trips in life ( I have done a few of them ) with a new car we have just bought and into the unknown that makes life fun. Good on ya mate and well done. The car looks great !
Chris
[L] Plates

Post by Chris »

Hey Shannon

Glad you like it, and more importantly, glad it ended up going to a good home where it could get the love I didn't currently have the time or money to give it.

cheers,

ps. my sister said the smell was actually Parmesan cheese, which spilled after a shopping trip; and it was cleaned a million times, but a little odour remained. Apparently it had been a lot worse. Keep putting pics up of it as you get more done, when possible.

:)
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Shannon I love the story and the way you told it!! Definitely inspires affection for Starions :)

I had a similar story with my GSR-V with a one way flight, to a sight unseen purchase, and driving it back to Melb from the Gold Coast. Loved all the memories, even the ding-ding of the GSR-V speed alarm that goes off relentlessly at 100km/h

Starion + Random purchase on a one way flight + Long drive home = Lasting memories

:beer
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects