OK, so i bought a group A car

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
redzone
racking my brains

OK, so i bought a group A car

Post by redzone »

OK, so it's not a Starion LOL

I'm not rich enough to afford a group A starion! But this thing popped up cheapish, and i have the parts/expertise to return it to twin cam isuzu group A spec from it's current IPRA setup.. should be a lot of fun, and i can hang out with Craig in the Xerox shop Starion at more group A meetings...

Here's a pic of it when first built by John White in 1985:

Here is a pic from i think its first meeting, sandown 500 in 1985:

Here's a pic from i think 1986 @ Oran Park

another pic from surfers paradise in probably 1987:

and, this is a pic of the car as it sits today:

I now have to sell the IPRA bits, my mate Elwin who wrecks gemini's has the correct G180W DOHC motor and box with remote shifter for me, once the current setup is sold then i can get going on the restoration.. Yes it came with its original Cams logbook...

Yes i'm keeping the widey! Sold the 51 Chev i was gonna play with next though..........

So, does anyone know anything about this car? Specifically info on how to contact John White who built the car, or David Sala who ran it in group A after him, and who went on to campaign a Sierra cosworth..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JJH
Enthusiast

Post by JJH »

That's a great buy Dave, and I remember seeing it at many of the events I competed at, in fact, David Sala also ran FVee before he ran the Gem.
My memory is flaky at best, but I think John White was involved at Heinemann Electrics in some form; Google has them as a going concern, might be worth a call to see if he's still around.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen David since way back in the day; actually, I tried to scrounge some coin to try and buy a seat for one of the Endurance races he ran it in but fell way short rofl
Good luck with the rebuild, and if I'm ever back up your way I'd love to drop by and check it out.
:beer
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Thats great info thanks!! Bowdens said David Sala lives near newcastle now, they're trying to track down his phone number for me. I'll suss out the heinemann angle for sure. John White showed up in a youtube clip driving an MGF recently too, thats another way i might track him down.

I need as many pics of the car back in the day as i can so i can get the CAMS Certificate of Description done..

Hopefully when you come up here after its finished..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Xerox shop Starion? Did Xerox sponsor the group A staz? Details?

btw, the wheels on that beast look sexy.. are you changing those when you restore it?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'm selling the performance 6 slots that are on the car now yes, they're near new, the wheels/tyres & motor combo have only done 2 practice days & one race meeting all at mallala..

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

do the wheels have slicks on them? will they fit a staz? :D
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

no they're 4X100, not sure if they could be redrilled or not. they've got 195/60/14 Advan 032R's on, soft compound.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

argh, you wouldn't want to destroy a nice set of wheels by redrilling :(
quest wrote:
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

wow nice ride, congrats
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Good score Dave :beer

Being in the game now with the Group A Historics will be a bunch of fun. Enjoy.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Yeah you guys might see me at muscle car masters next year if all goes to plan (haha)

leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

does Craig still own and run his Sigma Turbo Dave?
Starion-an 80's Classic car
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Yep he sure does, he hasnt raced it since he got the Starion though. Does street drive it occasionally still.

Hey Mamun, yes Xerox sponsored the Taylor/Kennedy Starion, this is the same car that Dean Crosswell aka Chooky owned, it now lives about 20km from me in the sunshine coast hinterland. He had a stack at muscle car masters (T-Boned by a HDT A9X and a Sierra Cosworth) so the car has been tidied up and repainted along with a new quarter panel (which we discovered had been replaced before). He's looking at putting the Xerox stickers back on the car. I reckon he should hit them up for some money towards transporting the car to events LOL

avandull
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandull »

this John white builds race cars and navigates in targa Tasmania. Hope he is your man.

DELTA HYDRAULICS PTY LTD
171-199 STONEY RISE ROAD
DEVONPORT, TASMANIA 7310

DELTA HYDRAULICS PTY LTD
P.O. Box 20
DEVONPORT, TASMANIA 7310

Phone: 03 6420 6900    International: +61 3 6420 6900
Fax: 03 6424 6983      International: +61 3 64246983

Contacts

John White - Managing Director
Agatha the ugly Starion
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Looks best in it's original form Dave, complete with the gold cheviots...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.